What's the Canon of Choice these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure from this thread if you got a new camera but if you have the A80 and you are having problems with the screen and pictures, you might want to see if you are eligible for the canon recall:

Support - Digital Camera - PowerShot A80 - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

I have a PowerShot SD100 that is about 8 years old. I found a case for it for a few bucks and started to use it underwater. Next thing I know the screen starts going black, gets lines in it, the pics look purple, and then the screen goes all together. At some time in Mid to late August, I emailed Canon on a Saturday after a dive and camera no longer worked. Canon responded on Sunday. I answered their questions on Sunday and on Monday I received a UPS shipping label. I shipped the broken camera back to them on Tuesday and I got my Camera back with new insternal parts of the camera on Saturday. Fantastic service for a camera that I was going to trash and look for a better one. This recall has been around for years and they are still honoring this.

You might want to consider looking into the recall and have the camera as a back up if you are going to get a new one or if you want to do more research/save more cash to get the one you really want.

It certainly can't hurt to see if Canon will look at your camera under the recall. All I did was explain the situation to them and once they agreed that my camera was having problems, they asked for the serial number and sent me a shipping label. I have never had an easier time getting somethign fixed in my life, and I was not even expecting to get a repair.

That's exactly what it's doing! Thanks! If anything it will at least buy me some time and let me have something to use until I can go with the upgrade.

I appreciate the heads up!!!!

Glad I could help. Hopefully your experience will be as great as mine was. Send them an email and see what happens. If your camera is doing the same you should have no problems.

Good luck!

Glad I could help. Hopefully your experience will be as great as mine was. Send them an email and see what happens. If your camera is doing the same you should have no problems.

Good luck!

Just received the reply from them that they are sending me the mailing label! This buys me some time to get my new rig!

Thanks again!

Wow, all this A570is love. Was thinking of selling my trusty A570is so I can get a camera that also does 720p video.

I have been scanning the internet, looking for a new 570, reasonably priced, without success. Would appreciate it, if anyone has any leads.

I have a used one with a canon housing and weight kit that will be on the market in 2-3 weeks (I'm in the process of upgrading to the G11 :D )

Since you have a Canon you may be able to use the company loyalty program to get a 590is if that's what you want - $79 + $10 shipping for 2nd day delivery. Contact them through the company's customer service email to check. (ps@cits.canon.com)

All of this talk on the Canon line has me thinking of getting into UW photography. I've been looking at a few cameras that would also let me capture HD video and still get good stills. Mostly looking at the SD970is, SD980is P&S cameras. Can anyone comment on the SD line and how they do UW? Most of these lack manual controls and since I'm a newbe, I'm not sure how important that is. I've also looked at the Panasonic ZS3 which gets great reviews, but this is the canon forum.

Any comments at all on the above cameras?

All of this talk on the Canon line has me thinking of getting into UW photography. I've been looking at a few cameras that would also let me capture HD video and still get good stills. Mostly looking at the SD970is, SD980is P&S cameras. Can anyone comment on the SD line and how they do UW? Most of these lack manual controls and since I'm a newbe, I'm not sure how important that is. I've also looked at the Panasonic ZS3 which gets great reviews, but this is the canon forum.

Any comments at all on the above cameras?

IMO, eventually you'll want manuel controls, ....

Do any P&S cameras have manual controls as well as HD video?

Do any P&S cameras have manual controls as well as HD video?

Canon SX20IS does, but it doesn't have RAW. If you can get over that, it's got one hell of a feature set (also takes AA batteries, so you're not stuck with proprietary stuff).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom