What's the Canon of Choice these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, my old A80 is flipping out on me, and I think it's time to update. I like Canon, and the way their functions are laid out so I'd like to stick with this brand.

What's a good Canon that has battery logevity? (My wife has an A570 and the batteries tend to die quickly)

Which model has the best features for U/W pictures (white balance button, big screen, RAW etc.)

WHich model has a decent, yet inexpensive housing (preferably Ikelite)

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks all!

Hi B

I just got the Canon S90, and I really think it will be great. Canon has their own housing for it, but I'm holding out for the Ikelite, so I haven't had it underwater yet, but above the surface, the pics are amazing. It has a fast F2.0 lens, 28-105 zoom, full manual and Raw capabilities--almost everything you'd want for UW. Also, big screen, and great battery life so far, and underwater white balance. Plus, it easily fits in your pocket, for above ground action, unlike the G11. I'll post some pics as soon as mine goes underwater:)

Mel

THanks! I've been working with the old unit, bit it's really acting up (and unfortunately I'm in the Keys with two dives on Looe Key pending on Wednesday) SO I'm just a spectator on this trip!

I'll have to check that one out!

B1--The G-10 has excellent battery life, 200-300 shots using flash & lcd screen for each shot. Recharging is fairly quick, 1-2hrs max (recharge unit is small, folding plug into ac receptacle type--no cords). Read a few G-10 related posts--it's no slouch and it does cover the other features you wondered about.

The G-11 is out but I have no input on that model (and no desire to EVER get rid of my G-10!). Canon's WP-DC28 housing for the G-10 is quite serviceable and inexpensive ($170, or so). I didn't know Ikelite made an inexpensive housing for any camera. (I'm not saying they aren't a solid housing brand but they are not inexpensive...) Just my 2 rupiahs worth. // ww

I went with a Canon G9 with the Ike housing a few years ago. Battery life is good. While I’ve never really timed it, I get multiple dives out of a charge. I’m not sure how the G10 and G11 stack up, but I would expect they are similar.

The “G” series is the top of the line point and shoot so you will not find more or better features. The only issue is that the price tag, especially with the Ike housing, is not cheap. Once I add a second strobe in few weeks, I’ll be into mine for over $2k including the Pelican case for travel.

I have a G10 and have been very impressed with it. At 14.7mp you have plenty of room to crop, it's ergonomically well thought out, and is solidly constructed. I really like the top exposure compensation dial and the dedicated ISO dial. At lower ISO settings, 200 or less, it compares very favorably with my Canon 40D DSLR using some pretty good glass.

The "latest and greatest" G11 has added an articulated LCD, but that means nothing in a housing and not much more on land. The resolution has dropped to the 10mp range to improve low light performance, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on examples I've seen on line. I think the G11 added HD video, but don't quote me on that. Again, for me, that's not a big deal at all since I rarely use the video function anyway.

I went with the $600 Ikelite housing. Robust construction, excellent factory support, and the abiltiy to use Canon's TTL circuitry were all features I valued. Its drawback is that it is quite bulky. If you don't care about the TTL feature, Canon's much less expensive housing has gotten excellent reviews.

Ok, my old A80 is flipping out on me, and I think it's time to update. I like Canon, and the way their functions are laid out so I'd like to stick with this brand.

What's a good Canon that has battery logevity? (My wife has an A570 and the batteries tend to die quickly)

Which model has the best features for U/W pictures (white balance button, big screen, RAW etc.)

WHich model has a decent, yet inexpensive housing (preferably Ikelite)

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks all!

One of your first decisions is very important, do you wish to utilize various wet mount lenses, are you interested in wide angle or using a wide angle lens to get very close. If not the G10/G11 may be the best choice, if yes is the answer then you may wish to look elsewhere (the Fisheye housing may solve that for the G10/G11) such as the new S90 with threaded port Ikelite housing, much faster lens coupled with a low noise sensor and very compact size and compatible it appears with wet lenses.

Frankly, the Canon 570/590 are hard to beat but they are no longer made, that is a shame. They are flexible, can utilize wet lenses, are inexpensive, can be set for a RAW hack and they are good shooters with full manual control.

N

The A570 and its housing are still available new from various sources, and available used on eBay (there's one there today from a diver in PA).

I have no problems with batteries in mine. I'm sure could go 4 dives on one set, but I usually change after two just to be safe.

I use the Ikelite AF 35 with it for a real, real inexpensive basic starter package.

I use a Canon A570. Sanyo Eneloop low-discharge NiMH batteries work great. Tell your wife to give 'em a try. Typically I get 3 dives out of a freshly charged set.

You must not have read the pages long thread on this issue that is concurrent. Nonetheless, regardless of all of that, simply installing the Duracell Pre-charged or the Eneloop by Sanyo will cure her problems and the camera will shoot all day.

N

Back
Top Bottom