What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone to 42 in my 5mm, that was pretty cold. I am ok until the mid 50's in my 5mm. That was before I had my drysuit though. Not I will dive a wetsuit until high 50's. Once it drops below 60, I put the dry suit on. Though most of my buddies call me a polar bear :p

With a custom 7 mil farmer John skin-in, I’m fine all year in So Cal, but then the temps never drop below 50.

I know of only one wetsuit company that still “claims” to use Rubatex, but I have often wondered how this can be. The original Rubatex company went bankrupt in 2004 and its successor closed the plant in the summer of 2010. I haven’t heard of any local custom shop making a Rubatex suit since 2006.

Low 50s comfortable for longer dives and several per day. High 40s get cold at the end of the dive and over multiple dives. I dive San Diego just fine on my visits. If I dived cold water routinely and/or lived there, I would certainly dive a drysuit.

I knew it! I am a sucker for getting the best gear and enough of you have been there and done the wetsuit stuff (and now won't think of doing it again after getting a drysuit) that I think I may shift gears and pursue a drysuit. I will dive some more this summer to make sure I love this as much as I think I do, but frankly it's all I think about now. Can't believe I didn't get into diving years ago. Thanks to everyone for their input - it is very informative.

Gary,

I am about 6 miles from you.

Last April I dived Whitestar..water temps in low 40's. Crazy cold. I had the 7 mil hood and 7 mil gloves and a Farmer John top over my Neosport 7/5 mil.

The water felt like fire on my face. I kept the dives shallow and short. 20 mins Max. 80 degrees outside thankfully.

Many quarry divers around here dive dry. I'm too cheap right now..but the time is comin'.

Plan to hit Circleville soon in my SolaFX 8 mil and lavacore. But the dives will be short. Till the temps rise. Best to stay safe.

After late May/June a heavy wetsuit is fine. Probably thru mid October.

Locally, a drysuit allows you to go deeper in the quarries..at all times of the year.

7mm john, I find 46-47 (8C) ok, when it gets down to 42-43 (6C) I am definitely @ my limit

Below 65 I'm checking airfares to somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom