whats the diving like in koh tao in december

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
hi all,

Have my flights booked for an 8 week trips to thailand with the intention of doing as much diving as i can..Really i would like to go to koh tao as its the cheapest place to learn and do sum diving courses. But recently looking on the internet it seems that tis is not the diving season..is tis true?..will the diving be crap if i still decide to go in early december..If so can anybody suggest the best place to go in thailand at tis time of year that may be least expensive.

thanks,

karol

:pooldive:

It's gonna be rainy for sure. The wind and visibility will be bad to worse. Sorry.
You'll find plenty of great diving on the Andaman side. Base ourself out of Phuket, Phi Phi, or in my opinion, Koh Lanta. You will most def have to cough up close to twice the price for your OW, though.

An idea? Come to Tao for the course, then go off to the Andaman side for some amazing fun diving.

I agree with mgmonk, it will be wet over there, and that will affect the diving. I am based in Phuket and December is when the diving starts to get good. We offer pretty good value on our dive courses, especially if you take 2-3 courses with us. I doubt I will be able to match the Koh Tao prices, because our overheads are much higher here.

If you would like any more information then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Wherever you end up enjoy the diving!

To be honest who knows !

Historically the weather is due to be bad to awful but the way the weather is going now days it could be empty beaches low season prices and great diving , or real awful viz and lots of rain.

Anyhow check when you are here in Thailand its easy to get around between the two coasts. You say you have 8 weeks so shouldnt be a problem.

West coast does have some budget diving options and normally the weather is great there in Dec.

Contact Ringo here on SB they have a shop in Phuket but will also give solid advice on other west coast areas.

Enjoy your trip.

PS. Right now flat calm seas great viz whalesharks and other sharks at the local sites..

Back
Top Bottom