Whats the low-down on semi-dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DNK:
What exactly is a semi-dry suit and what makes it different then a wet or dry suit?

Thanks

A semi dry suit is an aggressively constructed wetsuit. It will have superior seals at the openings as well as zipper that's close to if not as good as that on a drysuit. A search will find owners with end their dive with dry or partially dry trunks. If nothing else they bring water exchange to an absolute minimum. If you're borderline on needing a drysuit it may get you there.

While undergarments are not generally used you will find mentions of T shirts etc.

The Mares Isotherm is often mentioned.

Pete

A semi-dry suit is much warmer than a wetsuit and dives like a wetsuit. Mine is a Pinnacle Arctic 7mm semi-dry with a marino (wool) lining. The only drawback is you don't want to pee in a semi-dry (some say you shouldn't pee in a wetsuit either - but how many listen?). Henderson makes some good semi-dry suits from what I heard, but I love diving my Arctic.

Good luck,
-stacy

A semi-dry suit will also have an integrated hood. I dive with a Xcel 9-7-6 and I love it in the winter. It is almost too warm for summer in So. Cal, so I will change it out for a 7 mil suit in the summer for shallow dives. On the deeper dives I will wear it all year round.

DNK:
What exactly is a semi-dry suit and what makes it different then a wet or dry suit?

Thanks

In addition to special seals at the wrists,ankles, face, some semi-dry suits also have a neck dam. The other major difference is that most have a special liner or "skin-in" material that makes a big difference. the better fitting the suit, the better the warmth and comfort. The basic principle is to reduce the flow of water in and out of the suit as well as the amount of water that comes in contact with the body in general. With most "skin-in" suits, you would most likely be counteracting the insulating effects by wearing a t-shirt, rash gaurd, etc.. although I've seen people do it.

not all suits are created equal. I recently bought a bare alpine, but exchanged it for the pinnacle as the construction and features were far more substantial...shop around and try a few on.

I'm warmer in my semi-dry than in my two piece farmer john...and was able to drop 9 pounds off the belt....

My semi-dry does not have the integrated hood, so I can use it with/without my hooded vest. The Pinacle Polar has the integreated hood & the Arctic does not. Same warm lining...

I use a Mares Isotherm and really like it. Right now I am working on my trapping air problem. I think most of it is due to the fact that the chest is too big.
I get very little water inside during a dive and what little I do comes out nice and warm in my boots at the end of the dive.

The trick to the trapping air problem is to burp the suit at the beginning of the dive. Right before you decend, capture as much of the air as you can in the chest area and break the neck seal. All of the air will escape and you'll have a nice tight fit. If you're careful, you can get 99% of the air out with no water coming in. There will usually still be a little bit floating around in your arms, but it's much better than without the burp.

I've been diving a henderson semi dry, I've loved it in cold shallow water but when you go deep in them they provide very little warmth, I've had my henderson down to 48F I wore a thick shirt underneath and it wasn't all that bad, problem is when you get deep and it turns into paper, thats the reason I've gone dry.

FengShui:
The trick to the trapping air problem is to burp the suit at the beginning of the dive. Right before you decend, capture as much of the air as you can in the chest area and break the neck seal. All of the air will escape and you'll have a nice tight fit. If you're careful, you can get 99% of the air out with no water coming in. There will usually still be a little bit floating around in your arms, but it's much better than without the burp.

I have tried burping it. Usually with a giant stride entry all the air is forced out but it still has been an issue. Last dive I did I trapped it in the legs and coudn't work it out. I ended up flooding the suit and that helped a bit but the 48 degree water sure was cold on the bare chest. With about 3 extra inches in the chest I still want to get it altered. Now if I can only get a repair shop to reply to my email..HAHA.
I am able to swim down and after that I am usually fine, even on my ascent. Just annoying to me and my DB. At first I thought it was my BC since I am still getting use to a back inflate but soon found out that wasn't the problem.

Back
Top Bottom