Whats the min. AA savers miles anyone used to go to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ONCE AND ONLY ONCE I found a good itinerary from Lubbock to Cozumel roundtrip for the lowest mileage. Usually they frustrate you with choice that include insane routes and very long layovers so you get mad and choose between spending more miles and just paying.

FF mileage game was fun back before the new millennium. They've just about ruined it now, but keep hyping it so it sounds good until you try it.

Which is why I'm tempted to spend that air fare in aqua cat bahamas like last year.
Philly to Nassau was way easier 12.5 k each way!....

But i never did cozumel so I'll keep trying next few days

Plus IF AA can frustrate me, imagine other airlines they're a worse pain.

Wish AA had a check box to filter out overnight connections

Just wait till AA cancels your flight mid trip and force you to change airports in houston and a 5 hour layover! We almost just rented a car 1 way from hou to dfw...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just wait till AA cancels your flight mid trip and force you to change airports in houston and a 5 hour layover! We almost just rented a car 1 way from hou to dfw...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
When they pull those stunts or other significant changes to the ticket purchased, you do have a lot of control. You can get free changes or refunds. There may be no good options at times, tho.

I was a bit short on my frequent flyer miles but the discrepancy wasn't noted until I was on the flight and almost to Cozumel. We were on final approach and the stewardess came to my seat, verified my identity, confirmed the issue with my travel points and said "please follow me sir" followed shortly thereafter by "this is where you get off". Before I knew it I was tossed out the emergency door at an altitude of about 30 feet, but luckily my carry-on went with me and I was able to don my mask and fins for the swim back which wasn't all that bad I estimate they dropped me 300 yards from the ferry dock.

Have flown to CZM on points using AA and Delta. Up coming trip April 2020 AA wants 140 K points and Delta 66 K points for First class round trip. AA economy for same dates is 92.5 K points.

In the past 10 years we have flown AA 6 times out of HSV direct to CZM. Since the flights were all departures around 5:30 AM we spent the night at HSV hotel. Twice we woke up to our flt being canceled and re booked for a later flight. Down graded from Business to economy. Yes we did get to CZM on the same day and get a refund for the difference in airfare, but you have to apply for it and once we were not seated together.The first time the plane all loaded ready to go but door wouldn't latch shut. AA had no alternative for travel the same day so had to come back the following day to fly out. Delta flights were all full.

This last return trip in April (last flight out for the day) flight was delayed 4 times from DFW to HSV. It wasn't because the plane wasn't at the gate or due to weather. They had to wait for flight attendants and Captain. Co Pilot was the only one there. To be fair Delta has cancelled a flight on us a few years back going to Grand Cayman.

Already booked for 2020 using Delta. AA credit card shredded.

I've learned the key with AA miles the past few years (and this year) is to BOOK FAR IN ADVANCE. We booked our December 2019 trip RT ORF (Norfolk, VA) to CZM in early April 2019 when MILESAAVERS were still available and it was 12,500 miles each way (25K RT) without overnight layovers anywhere. Now we play the wait and see game and see how the flights may change.

Looking today... MILESAAVER's for all of December for our trip are gone and it's now 27,500 miles each way for AAnytime (55K RT). I'd say If you have miles racked up and missed an early window to book, maybe think about paying cash this time around and use the miles on a future trip when you may have the ability to plan and book FAR in advance instead of burning enough miles for 2 future trips on 1 trip now?

I do need to thank the OP for reminding me it was time to dump my wife's card and grab another. My wife and I each grabbed 60,000 mile Barclay's cards in Dec 2017 that I posted about here... OK... American Airlines / Barclay Bank sold me on this airmiles card.

It is time to ditch my wife's Barclay's AA card and I just grabbed her a new Citi AA card tonight with another 60,000 bonus sign-up miles. The annual fee is waived the first year and we just have to run $3,000 total through it in the first 3 months to grab the 60,000 miles which is no big deal as we run EVERYTHING through our miles cards. Another 60,000 miles to burn and more free trips on miles.

Oh, for those who believe playing the air miles credit card game and swapping from one bank's card to the next to the next is somehow going to impact your credit score... Both my wife and I have 850 credit scores. Swapping from one bank's card to another after you've burned through the miles has ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT ON YOUR CREDIT SCORE. Out with the old burned up air miles card (as soon as all miles are recorded at AA we'll close that account) and in with the new card and new bonus miles that will hit her AA miles account 4 months from now .

Here is a link to the Citi card I just grabbed her that replaces her Barclay's card from AA's website...

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® | AA.com

I always book my flts as soon as the dates open up. Most of the time it's the cheapest and I know it's taken care of. That being said our flts to San Juan Jan 2010 have dropped $130 for the 2 of us. Win some lose some.

Haven't booked using as miles but have seen it as low as 12.5k for economy. You do get a free upgrade to priority with your advantage cc. I prefer the Barclay world class arrival + card. Between 1 and 3% rewards, 5% points back when used for travel credits, free travel insurance, 1mil health insurance abroad all around a great card

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom