What's the most idiotic thing you've have witnessed divers doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a dive boat in Key Largo a few years ago. This certain boat was a catamaran with 3 exits to the water, one at the bow and one on each side. I watched a couple gear up on opposite sides of the boat. The man gets in the water from his side. The wonman, got very upset he got in with out her and furthermore, on the other side o f the boat. She then poceeded to maneuver herself to the other side of the of the boat in full gear, with fins on. She managed to climb over several tanks laying in the center of the boat to get to the other side. Then, instead of just going from the bow exit and swimming to her buddy, she shimmied herself on the outside of the the railing. She eventually just fell in from the motion of the boat.

This is the same woman who demanded from the DM the location of the "nurse shark pod." She reported quite loudly upon getting back in the boat that it was "the worst dive of her life" and "if she'd only seen the nurse shark pod" it would've been better.

I've seen divers doing SCARY things, but hey, that's not fun, is it ?

The funniest thing I've seen was a certfified diver as well as a certified UW movie maker) filming a tiny little fish (a grey one) while a huge Napoleon and a Manta Ray were passing by, just one meter at his right...

(it IS true...)

:eek:ut:

Tale from the deep side of Gilboa. (A great place to observe these stories in the making.) A tek diver geared up with double 121's, 2- Al80 & 2-steel 46's stage bottles. Entered the water, giant stride off the dock. I saw the diver return after about 1/2 hour. Climbed up the stairs and marched right up the hill to his car with all the cylinder still attached. Will give some credit, he did take off his fins.

Kevin

caverkevin once bubbled...
Tale from the deep side of Gilboa. (A great place to observe these stories in the making.) A tek diver geared up with double 121's, 2- Al80 & 2-steel 46's stage bottles. Entered the water, giant stride off the dock. I saw the diver return after about 1/2 hour. Climbed up the stairs and marched right up the hill to his car with all the cylinder still attached. Will give some credit, he did take off his fins.

Kevin

Kinda like, one of those things that make you go Hmmmmmm..or more simply Huh ?:boom: :bonk:

caverkevin once bubbled...

Kevin

Isn't this a regular thing at Gilboa?

Diving off Pompano Beach with another experienced diver, the boat asked us to buddy with a third down to a wreck in 100fsw. We're on Nitrox he's on air.

Dive proceeding normally until his NDL alarm goes off. He ignores it. When start to come up and we point to it he looks at it then scrathes his head and signals bafflement. We look at it and signals that it means to begin ascending. He then meteors to the surface but notices we're not following and comes down to join us on the proper ascent.

His first question on surfacing: "is there some limit to how fast you come up?" Uh yeah, and if all else fails use your watch or computer as a guide. "I don't have a watch and don't know how the computer works. I bought it used from my instructor and lost the manual."

The all encompassing one word response - relatives.

Came down to visit, had to go diving (but the seas are 5-6). Decided to take them out any way to teach them to maybe listen the next time we say no.
I had instructed them to stay on the bottom under the boat at the end of the dive and surface one at a time at the transom. Don't come up until the person in front of you is safely in the boat.
Each and every one of them surfaced behind the boat, took off their BC, tied it to the float line,took off their fins, threw them in the boat, and then immediately sank because they didn't take off their weight belt.

If it wasn't so damn scary, it would have been funny.

I once went on a local fun dive to Porteau Cove with a dive group in my area. I had just moved here, and didn't know anyone, and they partnered me up with an open water student (I was advanced at the time). We went diving to the Granthall, which is about 60 ft at its deepest.

I reach about 1000 PSI and signal to him we should turn back and swim to shore. He gives me the OK signal, and I lead the way back. I'm swimming back, look behind me, HUH??!!?? Where is my buddy??? I swim back the way I've come, and there he is looking at stuff on the Granthall, having a good time.

I thought, maybe I did something funky and he misunderstood me. So I got his attention, signalled to him again, he signalled OK, and I MADE sure of the OK because I did it a few times, and then started on my way. This time, I checked pretty much right away if he was following, and lo and behold!!! He's swimming AWAY from me??? WTF??? (I'm sorry, but that is the only thing that went through my head at that time). How much clearer do I have to be???!!!???

So I get his attention AGAIN, and signal AGAIN, make sure I'm clear in my signals AGAIN, and start on my way. Off I go, looking behind me, waving at him to follow, using the standard signal for "I'll lead, you follow". He looks at me, turns away, and goes back to the boat. My exact words will not be uttered here, but they sure went along the lines of "Suck him, I'm not going to die TRYING to communicate to this guy".

By this time, I'm running a little low on air, thinking he prolly is too (thank god I'm not an air hog any more), and I surface do my my safety stop (cause I always do one... just good practice as I do want to get into tech diving one day - when the money comes in for me to buy the gear), surface, and see that I have about 300 PSI left...

Funny, I haven't seen him since, but then again, I haven't been back with that club since cause they didn't seem to think that it was all that big of a deal.

Thank you all for the good storys. What a way to start the day off this was some plesant reading.
As for me please see my sig. below

radagalf once bubbled...
How much clearer do I have to be???!!!???
"I'll lead, you follow". He looks at me, turns away, and goes back to the boat.
"I'm not going to die TRYING to communicate to this guy".
Funny, I haven't seen him since, but then again, I haven't been back with that club since cause they didn't seem to think that it was all that big of a deal.

Ok let me get out of the way first - the guy you were diving with sounds like an awfully bad buddy and all around hazardous diver.

That said, when you ran low on air you needed to be signalling "low on air" (repeated motion closed fist to chest) and "ascend now" (thumbs up). And if necessary drag him with you ... ascending. You should have been doing this instead of repeating further directions to lead or follow. Of course I repeat that I don't know the extenuating circumstances of your dive. But surely he would know to assist you in a low air emergency and to end the dive. If he was low on air too that would have been your first duty.

I'm not attacking you, but all else aside I'm a little bothered by the fact that you abandoned your buddy simply because he couldn't figure out the lead/follow thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom