What's the most unpopular benign/non-polarizing opinion you hold re: diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around here Ive heard "all serious No. Cal divers eventually get a drysuit."

Im perfectly fine in my 8/7 mm wetsuit w attached hood. Sometimes I get a little chilly, but nothing I cant endure for the hour I plan to be in the water. After ~100 Calif. wetsuit dives I don't envision myself going dry. I mean part of the reason is finances, but it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If I had extra cash for scuba, Id prefer to invest in a boss video kit rather than a drysuit. And more travel - to warm or cold water. A drysuit is just far down my list of priorities. I guess if I had unlimited funds, Id go dry.

I've been there twice (Hurgada and Massala): it's wonderful!!
...unfortunately, back in the days I wasn't diving, but only snorkelling/freediving :(

I don't mean something that has been endlessly debated with opposing factions of divers which becomes a serious discussion (e.g., force fins vs other fins, snorkel vs. no snorkel, etc.). I mean something benign/silly/weird which other divers may even snicker to hear you say.

Mine: I think it's possible to enjoy the safety stop more than the dive. I'm not talking about seeing something magical while at the safety stop or reaching your safety stop after having a bad dive/accident. I mean just you at the safety stop after a good dive. o_O

This is not because I haven't been diving somewhere great cause I've been some fantastic places like the Solomon Islands, Philippines & Maldives. I just love that feeling of floating and zoning out. And I still think of the rigid hang bar on the Belize Aggressor IV (aka Sundancer II) with delight even after some really nice dives around Belize. I adored flying on that bar & looping around like a gymnast. I may have doubled or even tripled the amount of time spent at the safety...you know, just to be really safe.
Uhhh, Depends work?

@drrich2 & @northernone Ok, yours were uniquely awesome ones!

Define shore diving....You gear up on a bench. You walk down 4 steps and you are immediately in a kelp forest. (at least used to be a kelp) You walk up the 4 steps, turn in the tanks right there, and then walk down a few blocks for a nice meal. My kind of shore dives. Easier than a boat dive and more relaxing.

Hmmm. Maybe. I have a bad back. I prefer someone else to haul my gear & then I hand it back up to the boat while I'm in the water. So how much gear would I carry in this situation compared to my ideal? Because I've even done super calm shore entries where the water was like glass & the entry was from a beach with the dive shop 50 feet away...& I still preferred the shore dives!

I'll skip the wall dives and hang out on the grassy flats and treat the dive like a stroll through the pasture with no agenda but to be there. Everyone else is intent on finding all the coolest fish and most dramatic walls of coral. Hey look, a star fish.

omg omg omg. We definitely have to dive together then cause I'm the same way!

My pet peeve - that people constantly badger me about diving Air and how if I do a LOB Nitrox will make me feel fresh, rejuvenated, energised, my hair will be silky and my wrinkles will instantly disappear. I love people who post I MUST get Nitrox certified before I do a LOB. The last 4 LOBs I've done I've been the only air diver - the next 4 I will be the only air diver.

I don't want to annoy you, but now I'm curious. Why no Nitrox? I don't think it does anything for me in terms of energy like others do, but it has definitely helped me do more/lengthy dives especially on LOBs.

@MelasLithos' post about loving sea fans reminded me of something.

I feel compelled to look inside all the barrel sponges I see. I don't care if there's something cool in them. I just need to satiate my curiosity! On one dive, this apparently bugged the hell out of someone who kept on rushing over to see what I found. (He wasn't my buddy, just a guy in our group of 6.) After the 4th time of not seeing anything, he swam off in a huff. And then, gave me grief on the boat. But hey guy, you don't have to follow me!

@MelasLithos' post about loving sea fans reminded me of something.

I feel compelled to look inside all the barrel sponges I see. I don't care if there's something cool in them. I just need to satiate my curiosity! On one dive, this apparently bugged the hell out of someone who kept on rushing over to see what I found. (He wasn't my buddy, just a guy in our group of 6.) After the 4th time of not seeing anything, he swam off in a huff. And then, gave me grief on the boat. But hey guy, you don't have to follow me!

I'll admit I do the same :wink: I've never had someone rushing after me though, but regarding sea fans, I already had people wondering what I was looking at with so much attention:p

@MelasLithos, you just reminded me again.

I adore Flamingo Tongues! People come over thinking I'm looking at something exotic & laugh when I show them the Flamingo Tongue. :)

I adore Flamingo Tongues! People come over thinking I'm looking at something exotic & laugh when I show them the Flamingo Tongue. :)
Me too. I would rather cover a hundred feet quite well than a cursory 1000 ft. Flamingo tongues and baby Queen Conchs are my faves to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom