Whats the policy for diving with divecomputers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X:
I have no idea what their policy is but if you know how to use the dive tables then you shouldn't be ending your dives on 100 bar!

Actually, I often return to the boat with over 100 bar well after I have blown all table limits and am at the edge of my computer limits (and often into properly prepared and executed deco stops). Your dive time should be determined by a combination of your air (duh!) and the limits of your tables/wheel/computer. Every person's air consumption will vary a lot - I simply don't usually use much air while diving!

Just putting it out there so ppl don't get hung up on a number! FWIW

mvd1968,

I only have experience with one dive operation in Cozumel, Deep Blue. (I have been extremely happy with them so I have no reason to try other shops)

They definitely allow computers. In fact, they provide computers to their customers, although it may be only those that request. I have never had any issues about using my computer and using my limits.

However, they do tend to bring the group up when one person gets to a predetermined amount of air, typically 700 PSI. I have seen some cases where buddy groups were sent up separately, but more often the group comes up together. It depends upon the DM, the conditions, and the divers.

Once I was sent up real early with my buddy because he was getting low. He had a minor gear issue at the surface, resolved it but got himself worked up and stressed so his air consumption was bad. (it is never real good anyway) The rest of the group had plenty of air (myself included) so the DM sent the two of us up while the rest of the group continued. They felt comfortable that the two of us would be okay by ourselves. It all worked out just fine.

If you find a dive operation that won't let you use a computer, I would suggest that you take your business to a different shop, but that is just my opinion.

Wristshot

mvd1968:
Thanks, well here in the Netherlands visibility is always max 1 meter when you dive in the great lakes. Temperatures can go from 23 C on the surface to 10 C on the bottom (12 meters). I dont know how New York is but i wish i had good diving conditions the whole year here .

I just got back from a beach dive and the visibility just sucked!!! It was about 3-4 feet (just over a metre) and slack tide didn't last long so we had to be wary of that. Somedays we get a long slack tide and other days none at all. You can never tell how long you are going to get until you start seeing all the green matter quickly wrapping itself around your gear. :wink: Can't wait for the temp to get a bit cooler so the water comes a bit clearer - the dry suit water will make sure those summer divers are sat in front of their coal fires :wink:

Which lakes are you diving in? Do you ever dive from the beaches into the North Sea?

alcina:
Actually, I often return to the boat with over 100 bar well after I have blown all table limits and am at the edge of my computer limits (and often into properly prepared and executed deco stops).

Give me the secret are wonderful one? Are you diving with double tanks? Are you really a mermaid in disguise? I guess it is reassuring knowing that you have plenty in reserve for emergencies :) Good diving!

Far_X:
Give me the secret are wonderful one? Are you diving with double tanks? Are you really a mermaid in disguise? I guess it is reassuring knowing that you have plenty in reserve for emergencies :) Good diving!

LOL - no double tanks for me & alas, not a mermaid :( ...probably a combination of factors: lots of diving, very good buoyancy control, lots of diving, relatively fit, lots of diving, medium build, lots of diving, female, lots of diving, streamlined & good gear, lots of diving, extremely comfortable in the water :wink:

blackfin:
I stayed at Reef Club last November and dove with Sand Dollar sports. Everyone in our group used computers and were asked to surface with 700psi in our tanks.

OK, but the question was does everyone have to come up when the first person in the group hits 700 psi?

ggunn:
OK, but the question was does everyone have to come up when the first person in the group hits 700 psi?

Went down to Cozumel back in late June, dove with Deep Blue, all divers had computers, but varied experience and skill levels. Starting the first day of diving, the DM (Luis) set us up at the briefing, with instructions to notify him by simple hand signals, when each diver reached 2000 psi, 1000 psi-at which time he would float a safety sausage from a reel, providing we were not impared by a overhead obstruction, then to signal him when we reached 500 psi. At that time the diver was instructed to move up the line slowly, make the safety stop and proceed to the surface. 9 out of 10 dives, the boat was within 20 yards of the marker when I surfaced. The other time, it had drifted approx. 50 yards away while picking up a previously surfaced diver. We did this every day during the trip and it worked very well, allowing each diver the freedom to dive their computer. Only if the DM reached 500 psi was the dive aborted and the group required to surface...this happened only once with more than one diver still in the group (there was one girl that I swear had gills, she never came up with less than 1000 psi).

Given the crowded conditions on the surface of some of the more popular dive sites, I found the bright red marker a source of reassurance that other boats/operators could see you in the water.

Our group's over all opinion was the Deep Blue was an excellent operation, they even notified us when someone in the group left any items on the boat, and had them available either at the shop down town, or on the boat the next day for our retrieval.

There are many excellent operators on the island, review some of the other posts in this forum, and make the best choice you can...I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, and yes the warm water will feel like paradise to you!

be sure to ask/email the dive op ahead of time before scheduling dives. Another factor is the experience level of the divers on the same boat so ask how divers are grouped. For example, when our teenage kids dive with us (they have less than 50 dives) and if they haven't been diving for a number of months we often request to be grouped with less experienced divers and do shallower profiles. In those cases the divemaster may prefer to have everyone ascend as a group even though that is not the usual practice of the dive op. In our experience diving in Cozumel, this is more the exception than the normal practice. Our more typical experience with several different dive ops is for the divemaster to provide the expected profile in the briefing and explain that divers who reach 700 psi prior to the stated bottom time should signal the divemaster and then ascend with their buddy to do the safety stop while the DM continues with the rest of the group.

As a part-time resident who loves diving, I can assure you there are a number of excellent dive operations with divemasters who are very willing to work with experienced divers to safely maximize bottom time....you need to seek them out by getting recommendations as you are doing and then ask, ask, ask about the things that are most important to you.

Cozumel attracts a wide variety of divers...those that dive only once a year on their vacation, 1-day cruise passengers some of whom may not have been underwater for several years and are likely using rental gear they may not be familiar with as well as very experienced divers. This diversity of divers results in some dive ops targeting their audience while other ops may have practices (i.e. group surfacing when first diver reaches the desinated psi) intended to provide a safe, enjoyable experience for all.

Most important--enjoy your diving on Cozumel! ~~Karen

I have recently returned from Cozumel and dove with Roberta's Dive Eco Cozumel. They will let you dive for 60 minutes or 700 psi, whichever comes first. Only you and your buddy surface when you meet this mark.
I really liked this setup since the first day we dove with them there was a new diver that surfaced only after about 30 minutes. After that day they paired us up with more experienced divers.
Very nice operation I highly recomend them. DMs let divers decide where to dive.

ggunn:
Is that addressed toward Sand Dollar or Coz in general? If you mean in general, you are mistaken. Most small boat ops will send up buddy pairs as they run low on air.

This was our experience on our recent and only trip when we dove with Blue Angel. Since I was usually the air hog in the group, we were the first ones going up for our safety stops. We'd just drift along above the rest of the group during the stop, and when we surfaced, the boat would be nearby and pick us up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom