whats the real deal with the Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were there over Thanksgiving, staying at Villablanca and diving with Dive Paradise. Their pier at our hotel was gone, so we were picked up at the Hotel Cozumel pier. They were still working on repairs to it, but it was being used and we had no problems. We rented a scooter and have backpack gear bags so we used that to get to the pier from our hotel since the lockers weren't repaired yet at Hotel Cozumel (although they were working on them then and that may have changed in the last month). It was a little inconvenient, but the diving was great and made it worth the extra effort.

We don't spend alot of time hanging out at the beaches when we're there, but did do alot of touring around the island. San Francisco beach club and the one beside it (I don't remember the name) are open and have alot of sand. It seems like the beaches are 'shorter' than they were before, but again we don't usually spend much time there so I can't really remember. The little bar by Rasta's and Punta Sur park lost all of it's beach and hammocks. We went to the East side of the island and there were lots of beach areas there too. The road was still closed just past Coconut's to near Rasta's so you could only get there from the main road in town.

We had no regrets about keeping our reservations, and truly enjoyed not having to fight the big crowds when we were there. The amount of progress that was made since we were there a month ago was amazing, and I'd bet that it's even better now than it was then.

We were there in November right after Thanksgiving. Sure, there were buildings that were trashed and blown out. I expected some distruction, so I wasn't that surprised. But everything was clean, not all rebuilt and pristine condition, but clean. The island was ready for people to come, eat, dive, and stay in the rooms that are available.

I guess it depends on your expectations. I expected glass to be out of buildings and for there to be destruction of others. The beaches were gone -- again, to be expected. But there wasn't any debris in the streets and that's pretty good in my book.

The people on the island were working like mad to return things to normal. We saw great progress each day, so anyone going days later than November 26 wouldn't even get to see the destruction we saw.

We had a great time and our hotel was fine. The diving was great. There was, as I've mentioned on other posts, no reason not to be there. I didn't care if all the rooms in my hotel were ready or not as long as I had a room in good condition. I didn't care if the cruise ship pier was missing -- I wasn't on a cruise.

If you're like me you want the following things, which are available in Coz:

Diving - check

Hotel room w/ working plumbing - check (except hot wasn't always in our room, but we've read this happened before hurricane in same room)

Restaurants - check

Relaxation - check

Direct flight - check

It was great. Don't hesitate to go, unless you need everything to look perfect like Disney's newest park. (And, if that's the case, why ever go to Mexico? Or, most places for that matter?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom