What's the temp in summer at LL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Glad to see there's a forum for Lake Lanier diving. Haven't done it but am definitely interested. I'd dive in my bathtub if it were deep enough. Anyhow, I would guess that even in the summer, its pretty chilly below the thermocline. I'm OK in my 3 mil + hooded vests and thick gloves at about 68 degrees F (so far as I can surmise from a couple of trips to Ginnie S) but think that below that I might want to get into the drysuit thing. What kind of temperatures could one expect during the warm season?

Which reminds me, does anyone offer a drysuit course around here?

Also, while I've got your e-ear, I saw mention in another post of "the Silos in Alpharetta/Roswell". Is that another dive spot or something altogether unrelated?

Thanks

dlwalke:
Glad to see there's a forum for Lake Lanier diving. Haven't done it but am definitely interested. I'd dive in my bathtub if it were deep enough. Anyhow, I would guess that even in the summer, its pretty chilly below the thermocline. I'm OK in my 3 mil + hooded vests and thick gloves at about 68 degrees F (so far as I can surmise from a couple of trips to Ginnie S) but think that below that I might want to get into the drysuit thing. What kind of temperatures could one expect during the warm season?

Some of us were diving in our tropicals during late summer. I didn't dive too much at Lanier during the summer. The lake changes somewhat (my experience) and viz degrades to almost zero below the thermocline during the summer. I don't know why this is except there is alot more action going on in the lake and it gets "stirred" up more. Of course this is just my guess. During the summer one can see alot more fish and life in the lake if you dive in the 20' or above area. Esp. along the rocks.

dlwalke:
Which reminds me, does anyone offer a drysuit course around here?
Yes. Call Divers Supply #770-939-3483 They offer all kind of training from OW up thru TriMix. They definately do the drysuit courses too.

dlwalke:
Also, while I've got your e-ear, I saw mention in another post of "the Silos in Alpharetta/Roswell". Is that another dive spot or something altogether unrelated?

Thanks

Don't know anything about the "Silos in Alpharetta/Roswell"...Sorry

Jeremy

During the summer it is 82-84F on the surface down to about the first 20' or so. Then it is in the mid 60's a ways down, then the big thermo hits and it is 40-50F on the bottom.

During the summer I stay in the first thermocline and dive a skin. That is where all the fish are anyways. The fish aren't dummies, they like the warm water too. I'm looking forward to another summer at the lake. Even if it is only 5-7' viz that is good enough to cruise the rocks in warm water and check out all the fish.

Matt

The only silos I can think about is the shopping market out off of crabapple. It's called the three silos or something from an old farm that was there. The silos are still there but are on land.

Maybe it's a dive spot I haven't heard of? :)

Matt

DL,
In the summertime the temps in the pond will range from a high of about 82/83 down to 44 or so at depth.

The visibility is very capricious in the summertime.

It's pretty easy to find a depth at which your wet suit become a wee bit chilly.

Most all of the LDS's offer d/s courses. In fact, there are several of us who have recently purchased D/Suits to be able to take advantage of the better winter diving.

"The Silos" are to the Roswell/Alpharetta area as "The Big Chicken" is to Marietta. It's an area in Alpharetta where Hwy 140 and Crabapple Rd. intersect. There are a couple of silos still standing. The community went into a furor when it was stated that the silos would be demolished.

They make a good landmark.

the Kraken

The Kraken:
The visibility is very capricious in the summertime.

JK Steger:
The lake changes somewhat (my experience) and viz degrades to almost zero below the thermocline during the summer

I see (or not). How much better is the viz in Winter? Are all the fish hibernating then?

In the winter I've seen it between 20 and 30 feet below 30' or so.

Ye'll be seein nary a fish in the winter . . .

the K

Kraken,

When does the lake really start to warm up enough for a 3mm or 5mm wetsuit. My boyfriend and I would like to do some local diving this Spring. I know Allatoona stays pretty cool until mid-May. Will you PM me and let me know what dive shop you work with?

The Kraken:
In the winter I've seen it between 20 and 30 feet below 30' or so.

Ye'll be seein nary a fish in the winter . . .

the K

We dive Lake Thurmond (also known as Clark Hill Lake) just above Augusta in E. Georgia. I certainly agree that fish life is less in the winter than in the summer, but we have been fortunate lately. In recent weeks we have seen large cats and on today's dive we saw a few schools of small fish and several large bass (see thread Winter Diving in the South). However, we are not seeing the crappie, bream, and sunfish as in the summer months. I guess that Lake Lanier being a little further north makes the difference.

Just to let you know NO Fish who post here is a dry suit instructor. and I just picked up my new dry suit.
Tim

Back
Top Bottom