What's wrong with long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Last Nite I met up with some friends whom I have not met for a very long time.

We were happily exchanging our diving experience/Trips feedback/our plans when the diving season opens.When one of them mentioned that he wanted to do DM which I think is :cool:BUT then there's something that he mentioned that kept me :thinkingo the whole day. He said that divers using long hose cannot do DM with most of the DC/DS in my region. Which I dun understand why?

Why can't one be train to be a DM using Long hose ?? and in What way does long hose get in the way with the training :unsure:

Does it happen in your region ??

animian2002:
Why can't one be train to be a DM using Long hose ?? and in What way does long hose get in the way with the training :unsure:

It happens that way everywhere. Dive Shops look at their DM's as shop representatives. Not only do they want you to dive the way they dive, but they even what you to wear equipment that they sell.

Find a shop that dives the way you do to take DM with.

James

and in What way does long hose get in the way with the training?

It really doesn't. The justifications for "no long hose" I've heard are: (1) the students and tourists generally won't be using long hoses on primaries and the DM should be using equipment "familiar" to students and the tourists; (2) the backup regulator ("octopus") goes on a long hose, not a primary regulator; (3) a long hose is a "caving thing" that recreational divers don't need to worry about; and (4) PADI (I'm guessing it's a PADI shop telling you this) teaches donating a backup instead of a primary, so donating a long hose primary interferes with their training.

The "truth" is probably closer to what James said, but the training points are a more palatable justification. The people at the LDS I frequent are at least honest enough to admit they'd really prefer their DMs and Instructors to wear the gear they sell or special order (they can get just about anything, even if they're not an authorized dealer), and they make it relatively painless to get into a "pool set" if you're serious about working with them.

I dont see the problem of you doing your DM with a long hose, as long as you understand why you have it and the pro's and con's of it. I am an instructor and I do all my diving with a long hose, if you want to use one then go for it.

At first I also challenged him why not in long hose and based on his explanation is ...there are some drills which a DM trainee must do and if with long hose, they won't be able to do it and etc (PS: I have not idea what drill he is talking about :p)

Um...yeah. If a long hose works in a cave or wreck in an emergency, for damn sure it will work in a pool or open water.

I triple dirty dog dare you to ask him if some of the drills require pink split fins, too.

There should be no reason you can not do your DM with a long hose, I teach OW and I have a 7 foot primary. It takes about an extra minute to show students how my setup works and what to do in the "unlikely event of an emergency". PADI has no problem with this setup and all the skills in OW are possible with a long hose, I belive somewhere in the OW manual there is a bit on - if your buddy has a secondary attached to his BC inflator...he will donate you his primary and switch to his backup, this is very close to what happens when you donate your long hose. If your local shop will not let you do your DM with a 7 foot then find another shop...

AzAtty:
and (4) PADI (I'm guessing it's a PADI shop telling you this) teaches donating a backup instead of a primary, so donating a long hose primary interferes with their training..
Are you sure about this AzAtty? Doesn't sound right, since PADI doesn't seem to mind students and instructors using those combo inflator/octo units that also require the diver to donate primary.

Charlie

Silly inflator regs are super fine but a high quality reg on a 7 foot hose is a real no no.

Make sense of that. And forget about those "tech" BC's because they are so different with their shoulder straps, waist strap, inflatable bladder, inflator hose in the same position as any other BC and straps for holding a tank on it. Sounds a lot like other BC's to me. I guess that one crotch strap, which is available as an add on for a LOT of "rec" BC's put if over the top.

animian2002:
He said that divers using long hose cannot do DM with most of the DC/DS in my region. Which I dun understand why?

Where do most of the training agencies teach the student to go for a regulator when out of air?

PADI says: "an alternate air source should be secured in plain view in the triangular area between your mouth and the lower corners of your rib cage."

According to PADI that is the one located right below your mouth, is that the regulator you want the student to go after in an out of air situation?

If you are training to their standards you are sending a conflicting message on where the student should get the alternate air source

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom