whats wrong with my reg?? help pleas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
well, I took my gear out for the first time today and I half to say I like everything EXCEPT...my reserve has a tendency to leak. it is a scubapro R190 and it leaks untill I purge it and after I purge it quickly the leak goes away for about a minute and then it comes back. What is wrong? is it my diaphram? if so how much are they and are they easily replaced?

snipes287 once bubbled...
it is a scubapro R190 and it leaks untill I purge it and after I purge it quickly the leak goes away for about a minute and then it comes back. What is wrong? is it my diaphram?
The HP seat of the first stage isn't sealing perfectly and a tiny bit of air is leaking by. This causes the intermdiate pressure to creep up slowly until one of your regs opens up a bit and leaks a bit due to the excess pressure.

Not much different than an annoying drip in your kitchen faucet.

Detuning your secondaries won't fix the problem. You need to do the annual service on your 1st.

IMO it's not a big safety risk, and while on a trip I've done multiple dives on my reg after it developed a mild case of IP creep. Do service it at your earliest convenience, though.

Its because it's a R190. A lot of people get a really cheap backup reg I was one of those people a long time ago. I see this all the time. Yes it is important to have the proper intermediate pressure in your first stage, but even with the proper maintenance, everything in top shape, you will still probably have problems with that second stage. Some people don't, but I see more problems from Scubapro Regs than anything else

This is NOT a thread about the DIR-ness of Scubapro regs. We know you like Apeks, why? Because George likes Apeks. The question about what to do with a leaky second has been answered. LOTS of people (myself included) detune their octos to prevent freeflows and bubbling.

BTW, yes detune for now, service soon.

Rachel

Whoah a litle sensitive are we. I did not say anything about my choice or preference in regs so chill out. You started the issue not me, and I still won't get into that issue because it was not brought up, and I don't like something because soemone else does. I like what I use because it works for me.

Chill out

Scubapro makes great regs. There is no reason to bash them or talk about what you USED to do...

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Its because it's a R190. A lot of people get a really cheap backup reg I was one of those people a long time ago. I see this all the time. Yes it is important to have the proper intermediate pressure in your first stage, but even with the proper maintenance, everything in top shape, you will still probably have problems with that second stage. Some people don't, but I see more problems from Scubapro Regs than anything else
Clearly, with the symptom of hissing going away after a purge, and then coming back shortly thereafter, the problem is in the FIRST stage. R190 has nothing to do with it. When the 1st stage doesn't completely cut off the air flow when none is being drawn from either second stage, the intermediate pressure will slowly creep up.

Eventually, one of your seconds will open up a bit and let the leaking gas on through --- or at least you hope so, otherwise you will blow the hose. This is why those masochists that dive in water cold enough to require argon for drysuit inflation will put an overpressure valve on their drysuit inflator hose.

Biscuit7: Detuning the 2nd will NOT fix the problem.

Everyone is right about it being the first stage, but I would have it fixed right away. It should take a competent technician about three minutes if it is an HP seat and is something I would do on the spot for a customer. Depending on the regulator model and thus seat material, it may get much worse very quickly, possibly while you are using it. That depends on the nature of the problem, and you aren't able to tell without pulling it apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom