What's your breakfast before diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had two of those today.. One before going for a run and one after going for a run..
Bananas is our guilty pleasure I guess :p

I honestly don't know why fatty meals and caffeine will affect a diver in that way.

Fatty foods (along with a laundry list of other stuff) will kick off acid reflux in people that have it. This has nothing to do with SCUBA except that if you have acid reflux, and a big greasy breakfast, and flip upside down to look at something, you're probably going to have an unpleasant dive.

However I can't imagine how it would effect gas transfer in either direction.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 09:12 PM ----------

Which part of 'raw oats' did you not understand :confused:

The OJ soaks into them. They are very easy to eat.

When someone says "raw oats" I think of what horses get, which isn't something I'd eat by choice, even if soaked in other stuff. That's why I asked. If it makes you happy, that's fine.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

The less beaten up (usually by rolling) it is in its raw form, the more cooking it needs. Steel cut oats usually need to cook for about 45 minutes.

I like oatmeal, but it needs to cook for a while before it transforms from "feed" to "food" :cool: I never timed it, but 45 minutes seems about right.

Since we are still talking about this, and I went diving again today... (and I am bored):

Today's breakfast: 2 slices turkey bacon & 3 fried eggs (all done in coconut oil, pepper on the eggs, no salt), 4 small strawberries, hand-full of roasted unsalted nuts, coffee with a little honey, water. Exciting stuff! (eh..)

Since we are still talking about this, and I went diving again today... (and I am bored):

Today's breakfast: 2 slices turkey bacon & 3 fried eggs (all done in coconut oil, pepper on the eggs, no salt), 4 small strawberries, hand-full of roasted unsalted nuts, coffee with a little honey, water. Exciting stuff! (eh..)

I just had breakfast for dinner. Does that mean I'm ready for a night dive?

Protein shake (whey - 30 grams) and coffee.

I DON'T want to be over hydrated! If anything, I rather be a little dehydrated! Yes, you read this correctly. Multiple studies have shown that mild dehydration is protective against DCS! So I can enjoy my coffee! The only time I cut that down a bit is if I am in a drysuit (no She-pee). Anyway, in terms of hydration, it is mucho importante to hydrate AFTER the dive. So I drink plenty at the end.

About eating fatty meals prior to a dive, especially a deco dive.......there are some not so favorable studies.

What I did find since I get cold easy:

If the water is cold or the day is cold or if I am cold, ......I will carb up! that definitely keeps me warmer.

cheers :):)

Multiple studies have shown that mild dehydration is protective against DCS! So I can enjoy my coffee!

Mind backing that up? I'm calling BS on this one.

I always do much better throughout the day with a high-calorie, high protein breakfast, otherwise I get nauseated easily and hypoglycemic later in the morning.

Eggs, potatoes, bacon, buttered toast, coffee, OJ

Blatteau, JE et al – Hemodynamic changes induced by submaximal exercise before a dive and its consequences on bubble formation
Br. J. Sport Med 2007, 41:375-9

Linking dehydration from exercise to decreased bubbles

. Castagna, O et al - Endurance exercise immediately before sea diving decreases bubble formation
Eur J Appl Physiol 2011; 111: 1047-54

Biphasic hydration status decreases bubble formation
Besides, the effect of immersion shunts up to 700 cc of blood to the core. Full hydration/overhydration PRIOR to immersion can cause significant heart strain and overextension of pulmonary vessels leading to pulmonary edema. Other studies have shown an increase of nBNP in divers.

So, the body will not "miss" any hydration because of the shunting caused by immersion. HOWEVER, it is very important to hydrate during your decompression (when decoing for 30 min or longer) and especially AFTER the dive. Most diver will hit the bar after diving instead of hydrating with water.

Hope this clarifies my statement

Cheers,

Claudia R

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

By the way:

We are NOT swine and those were dry dives. The studies I gave you are human and immersion.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom