What's your favorite snack during a Surface Interval?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iris_ice:
tabasco! yum :)

but what's pinakurat na suka? what kind of a vinegar is it?

I believe it's from Cagayan de Oro. Kurat in Cebuano is "Shock".

iris_ice:
tabasco! yum :)

but what's pinakurat na suka? what kind of a vinegar is it?

it's coconut vinegar (tuba or fermented coconut wine), with the right mix of salt, garlic, chili and other spices. Great for lechon, grilled fish and just about any food packed with cholesterol.

pina"kurat" means - "shock". they named it this way probably because, when you taste it, there is some sweetness at first then suddenly the sting of the chilli takes effect. Sarap!

scubagun:
it's coconut vinegar (tuba or fermented coconut wine), with the right mix of salt, garlic, chili and other spices. Great for lechon, grilled fish and just about any food packed with cholesterol.

pina"kurat" means - "shock". they named it this way probably because, when you taste it, there is some sweetness at first then suddenly the sting of the chilli takes effect. Sarap!
wow! sounds amazing! hmmmmmmm... just came from lunch... had sisig... now i'm looking for grilled something... anyone got a beer?

Jag

pinakurat na suka is of visayan origin. scubagun's correct, it's made from tuba (coco) vinegar then "spiked" to give it's distinct taste of sweet and chili hot flavors. goes great with anything grilled or fried. try lapid's chicharon laman with it... da best!

sounds interesting... okay, then. i'll look for it in the grocery or my local market :)

jonix:
the pure stuff, not the commercially available ones...sweet and a bit sour.

with onions, labuyo and pepper corns?

do you use garlic for sinamak?

yes we make it all the time at home. no need for peppercorns. ingredients:

cane or coconut vinegar, either red or white
lots of garlic
onions (optional)
sili
salt
sugar(optional)
let age for a month

Back
Top Bottom