What's your impression of this behavior?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba pro has some of the best regs. I dont get where he comes off. I dive atomic but scuba pro mk-25 is a great reg. My scuba pro mk-7 makes pretty music (its the honker lol) I dont like people that down other people. it usually comes from those that are self conscious due to thier own deficientcies. like my spelling lol

You know...I guess I've just been lucky. I've had the pleasure of dealing with some of the coolest, most helpfull LDS in the South. The ScubaPro shops will work with the Dive Rite shops, who work with the Halcyon dealers, who'll pick up the phone and find a part, or hood, or a light, or whatever, and it will be there laying on the counter when you drive over to pick it up.

Atlanta Scuba, Scuba Tech Destin, Dive Shop V, Garrard Underwater Educators, Birds Underwater, And that little shop on 98 in Ft. Walton.....I love you.

Extremely unnecessary.....Some people just love to shoot themselves in the foot....I dont understand that at all.....You never bash your competitor, it makes you look childish....If you have to resort to that to prove your better, then your not better! People should be able to tell the difference, thats what makes greatness....let your actions, ethics, and business practices speak for you....Silly LDS owners.....:popcorn:

mark01:
I went to an LDS today just sort of checking things out. This is not my regular shop, but one I was considering moving to for couple of reasons which are not important to this discussion.

I introduced myself to this guy and said I was sort of looking around and wondering about trips, instruction, equipment, etc. I will say they guy took ALOT of time with me even though other people came into the shop. I liked that he took that much time with me.

However, when I told this guy the name of the shop I had associated myself with, he begain running down the shop, it's practices, instructional quality, equipment, the prices, the owner, and especially my daughter's Scubapro regulator. Apparently Scuba Pro, as Kmart, sucks in his world.

He talked alot about how he did instruction, mentioning to me several times that he trained SWAT divers and Fire Rescue guys, how he dove in all sorts of overhead enviroments, was a tech diver, how dumb my dive shop was for not having a better compressor, that my LDS owner was a nothing more than a "recreational" instructor with little experience and by, extension, not competent.

He really went into alot of detail about how my shop did not properly service regulators and showed me how he took regulators TOTALLY apart and replaced lots of O rings and what not.

I will say that I was impressed with this shop's maintenance procedures and attention to detail, at least as it was presented to me, and I think that any instuction I got from this guy would be pretty good.

On the down side, I am also not impressed with people who make their case for competency by disparaging others.

Just wondering what your thoughts might be about this guy and his behavior.

Thanks,

Mark
I thought I knew which shop owner you were talking about ... then I realized you weren't from the Seattle area ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A company rep can either tell you the good points of doing business with them or they can run down the competition like your example did. Which is cheaper, easier and more helpful to the customer?

This guy wasn't trying to earn your business he was trying to tell you that you must be an idiot for patronizing his competition and using equipment he doesn't carry. He's making a very expensive mistake running his mouth like that.

MBH:
You know...I guess I've just been lucky. I've had the pleasure of dealing with some of the coolest, most helpfull LDS in the South. The ScubaPro shops will work with the Dive Rite shops, who work with the Halcyon dealers, who'll pick up the phone and find a part, or hood, or a light, or whatever, and it will be there laying on the counter when you drive over to pick it up.

Atlanta Scuba, Scuba Tech Destin, Dive Shop V, Garrard Underwater Educators, Birds Underwater, And that little shop on 98 in Ft. Walton.....I love you.

I used to do business with Dive Shop V over in marietta, good people. I only switched because another shop (with equally good people) opened up over here on my side of town.

Sasquatch:
This guy wasn't trying to earn your business he was trying to tell you that you must be an idiot for patronizing his competition and using equipment he doesn't carry.

yup, exactly

bvmjethead:
I think chicks look hot in wetsuits.

well, they should turn the AC on

What do I think about it? It sucks!

Negative selling rarely results in a sale. Yet it's often used when someone doesn't know how or can't sell themselves, their products and services.

When someone can't build a sound value proposition a fall back approach is to disapprove, criticize and pass judgement on the competition. It can be overt or sudtle.

Unfortunately, it works just often enough to remain a fall back position.

Something took you to the new store to check it out. I guess at the end of the day you have to consider all the factors and make a decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom