What's your inspiration to go diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I like the pretty lights" --Myca, (The Crow)

Seriously, all the amazing things to see. There's a whole other world most people have never imagined, much less seen. It's the real juice for me to dive.

To me, its just the most relaxing thing I have found to do. Since most dive locations are international ( that my story and I sticking to it :D ). This sport forces me to leave my work cell phone at home, my work computer at home and just get away for a couple of weeks every year. It really gives my wife and I some time to relax and enjoy our time together without any interruptions.

buddy diving-hang out time with some of my best friends. Doesn't matter if it's a 40* murky quarry, or Madison Blue, it's bonding time
solo diving-just letting everything go. There is nothing but me and the fish. I've needed destress and relax time and I've gone to the quarry with 4 HP120's, gone to the sunken plane, tied a reel on the window, clipped all 4 off, took my bc off and clipped it to that. just sat in the cockpit with my mask off until my gas ran out. 5 hours later I came back up and felt a lot better.

My inspiration to dive after nearly 50 years doing it is to film the undersea world, create DVDs and cable TV shows to share it with others who may not dive so that they will come to love and protect what we see, and to make a fortune by doing it. I've been successful with all but the last.

I do find that even after all these years, I see enough "new" behavior, etc., that it inspires me. Besides, there are now far more hot lady-go-divers involved in the activity than there were back in the 60s... unfortunately I'm now too old for most of them!

Cousteau, the original

I remember watching his films as far back as I can remember anything else. The one that sticks with me the most was from inside a school of frolicking squid, and then the blue sharks came in for feeding.

There was another special where it showed what it took to make his team. I recall a scene where a female candidate had to CESA from 100' in order to pass.

I was hooked long before I could say apparatus...

That was my inspiration to start. What I see with my own eyes underwater, the sealife and how they interact with their environment is what keeps me coming back.

My path -

1. A few trips to a Caribbean resort going snorkeling
2. Finally started freediving...

I recall my first real time freediving. It was in Negril. I recall so vividly being down near the bottom, seeing a Stone Fish that day, and the sound. The sound was amazing. It was like a different world, quiet, but not... just amazing. Hard to really describe.

It was then and there that I decided it was time to get of my keister and get certified. I just HAD to stay down longer than a minute at a time.

I still love freediving because of the quiet serenity it provides. It is very different than scuba.

I continue to scuba now because I love the water, the creatures in it, and it is my one true Zen. I have many hobbies but this one provides me with a true state of Zen.

I like seeing things,I like exploring things but above all I love the peace.

ok, guess this is why we started diving, vs why i still dive.
I started diving because I grew up being a fish. My parents had us in the water before we could walk and not that far after we could first sit up on our own, they are both divers and I've always wanted to do it. Got into it fast and hardcore I guess...

Back
Top Bottom