When did you get bitten by the bug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time I got bit (it was a mosquito bite) I was reading The Deep..then saw he movie and really dug the white t-shirt...I mean the dive scenes...I had the mask,snorkel and fins in the pool and everything...then on my 40th birthday trip to Key West, I bought myself a mask, snorkel, booties and fins and had a blast snorkelling here and there...but was most impressed when we were out on Eastern Dry Rocks, and I was spending more time watching the guys diving than the sealife. At that moment in time, I decided I was getting certified. 6 months later I did a Discover Scuba in the (not heated) pool on a rainy and cold saturday in June at my LDS' grand opening...scheduled classes the next month and by September I did my check outs!

Going to the quarry tomorrow morning (Sunday) to start my season off!!

August '85...........Wife , oldest child, & I off to Belize in Dec that year....Grand Cayman March '86......bought an offshore fishing/diving boat in '90, house on Roatan in '94........2 of our children lived on the Island(one for 1.5 years the other for 3.5 years)......I'm thinking we've been bit for a while......(but it feels good....lol)......

During the summer of 1991 I went snorkling in the keys and could not believe all the marine life you could see from the surface. Watching the divers on the bottom just told me it was something I had to try. I was out pricing classes and buying gear the next week and have never looked back.

1957, first time had on a mask and snorkel (I was 9 years old), Cross Bay Blvd. Bridge, on the flats, saw horseshoe crabs, eels, etc.
Compound that with SEAHUNT- I was hooked...

I gotta say that I was bit on my last dive...

A few weekends ago I went to Key Largo for my AOW. The last dive of the trip was at French Reef (or frenches...). It was just right, the vis was great, no current and there was life everywhere you looked. I was very relaxed and comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed every moment I was there. I just couldn't get enough. The sad part is everywhere I look now, it is a potential dive site....."Oh look, a rain puddle, I wonder how I can dive it."

It was a Thursday and I was diving the wreck of the Hogan --- I had started taking days off from school to go diving.... I knew I was obsessed!!!

Wednesday July 25, 1956 at 10:10 pm CST as I watched the Andrea Doria sink. I knew then that a magnificent dive site had been created.

I was diving some rocks off St. John and the swells coming through were dragging us back and forth and it just hit me that I could spend the rest of my life and all my money doing this. So far the money thing is going pretty good, spent more then I can really afford.

Starting diving a little over 1.5 years ago and on one night paddling out of La Jolla cove I turned to my buddy and said, "there is something sick about two people swimming out into the ocean at night; not knowing what they will find and laughing about it".....I was definitely bitten, but I think it started in Jamaica snorkeling. I ended up swimming about 100 yards from the boat doing some free diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom