When did you lose track?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"This is logging." Well, OK, but if you were to look at a page of a given month you would see maybe three number entrees adding up the running total, with maybe four or five comments-- nothing more than that really.

I logged my dives for 20 years... Then I moved from Curacao to the Netherlands and somehow my log book dissapeared. I started over with all kinds of electronical logs but either the program died or the computer did. Then I just stopped. I knew what was on my Vyper, but getting older I couldn't see it that well anymore and passed it on to my daughter. Now I have the Luna and it has been my sole counting device for the last year and a half. But I never looked back anyway. So I didn't find logging very interesting. I know how much weight I need with different configurations and at most locations. And whenin doubt, I do a check dive and find out..

I actually keep 3 different log books. 1 for all dives I make, 1 that I record all my cave/ technical dives & 1 in which I record my hours on my rebreather. The last 2 I keep for required dives/ hours for more advanced training. I do have a bad habit of letting 20 or so dive accumulate before recording them,.... I've probably missed a few. I record all teaching dives (except pool). Now,.... if my dive # just matched my posting.....:D

In the way back days, I was diligent. Somewhere along the way i noticed that i was only recording what I'd seen and maybe who I'd been diving with. My first two computers actually saved up to 99 dives before rolling over. (Before EAN) in any event, how can I tell you when I lost track? I've lost track. :)

I stopped logging at dive 136, about 2 years ago. Mainly because I can't be asked. But, I'm currently doing about 100 dives a year at the moment.

Same as the OP. Somewhere about 200 odd I stopped paper logs and then used the computer. I totally lost track when I bought a new computer ('93/4 IIRC). I too am keeping track of my dives in caves as I am still working my way to full cave.

I kept written logs for the first 500 o/c dives. And when I went to the rebreather I was diligent about logging hours until I got to over 200, now i have lost track of both number of dives and hours on the rebreather.

I still log every dive. Because I dive different rebreathers in different environments, I find it helpful to review what weight with what suit in fresh/salt water. Sometimes, I just like to reminisce by going over my old logs. Then I think: Wow, I have come this far:)

Another thing that makes we realize is that unless u log, gestimations must be way off. I laugh when I read somebody claiming to have 5000 dives in 15 years. I seriously doubt those numbers unless they count the dips they take in their swimming pools!

I still log all of my dives since Day 1 of my OW, so no guessing for me as to how many dives I have done, except for the dives I did before my PADI OW back in 1991, I keep them in an archive next to all my marine books

The log book I carry with me is emptied into an archive folder at the end of the year, and I start afresh with a sort of empty log book in January.

It's fun reading over some logs, I also refer to them for conditions such as water temperature at various dive sites if returning again to check what exposure protection I may need as well as read comments from buddies

Last edited:
lost track a while ago and stopped writing stuff down prob around like 350 or so..... then added dives from my few computers up after and came to around 600ish.... I keep telling myself I'm gonna start writing stuff down again and I need to remember some of these dives but that was many dives ago and I still need to get to it..... maybe one of these days

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom