When did you lose track?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do enjoy going back and reading the paper log I kept at the beginning. Some of the entries are just delightful, like the one where I passed Fundies, where I drew flowers and fireworks all over the page!

I log every dive in a paper log book. I use a three ring binder, and retire earlier dives to a serices of books I keep at home, arrying only the last 50 to 100 dives logged with me. Its easier to maintain a curren log than to try and recreate one. I alos have all my dives signed by either my buddy or someone on the same dive. I was surporsied to read that the wonderful TSandM hasn't logged all her dives. I love reading your posts. I'll still read them.
DivemasterDennis

I've become lazy. I kept a paper log for almost ten years but then when I bought my first shearwater I started to just let them pile up and once in a while I'd pull them down (this has only become worse as the Petrel gave way to far greater facilitations for my procrastinating).

"I keep them in an archive next to all my Marine books."

Very funny...so do I. (US Marine Corps' books)

So it all started in 2001 in Okinawa, Japan. My instructor, R. Zimmerman, would have the students sign his logbook and he would sign theirs. I was shocked when I saw over 3,000 dives that he logged. So, I have almost logged every dive since then. My logbook contains directions, points of interest, friends, student names, compass headings, pictures, etc. I do not always log too much info. when it is a quarry dive unless we were doing something outside the normal routine. My logbook reads more like "The Diving Adventures of Tony Chaney." I go back every once in a while I reflect on what the heck got me to this point. I find the logbook also helps me keep track of different camera settings. One day when I am long and gone I hope that my wife, daughters, family members or friends picks up my logbook one day and has a laugh or a tear. Maybe they will gain some understanding as to why I loved diving.

So here is what I have found to be mainly true pertaining to logbooks:

1) Friends that do not log dives will often ask you for your logbook when they are going for higher training.

2) Divers that do not log tend to have more dives than those that do log dives.

3) I have never heard of an older diver saying, "I wish that I had never logged all of those dives."

4) Yes, there are times when going for advanced certs, that an instructor will ask for proof of dives.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 12:54 PM ----------

Question? Do you think that as computers advanced logging dives went down? I am thinking that when we had to "find the RAT" using tables we had to have that info. available for the next dive so we logged every dive.

Obviously I'm new to this. My dive computer logs my dives, and I sync them to the laptop and Movescount.

I'd still like to keep a paper log, though. I have the PADI book that was part of the course material. But isn't there a better, sturdier log book available to buy? Or do you just write in a blank notebook?

Obviously I'm new to this. My dive computer logs my dives, and I sync them to the laptop and Movescount.

I'd still like to keep a paper log, though. I have the PADI book that was part of the course material. But isn't there a better, sturdier log book available to buy? Or do you just write in a blank notebook?

In the interest of saving space, I "designed" my own log book. That in it self was work in progress since what I initially thought "important or unimportant" changed. Just have fun with it :)

Blank notebook for me. I keep track of dive number, date, site, exposure protection, weight, water temp and gas mixture. Then some notes. Blank book allows me to embellish (with photos or drawings) or not, in the event that I'm just taking info from my computer and have no notes to make.

I use SSI's professional log booklets. It allows me to log 5 dives per page. Minimal stuff (Dive #, date, loaction, purpose, buddy, depth, time, Temp, visibility & 1 line for notes. The back page is blank for additional notes, if needed). I can fit 5- 6 of these booklets in a plastic cover log book binder.

...Question? Do you think that as computers advanced logging dives went down? I am thinking that when we had to "find the RAT" using tables we had to have that info. available for the next dive so we logged every dive.

Could be.

In my case, I stopped logging my dives long before I stopped using tables. Typically because I'd only be doing two dives in a day, and could remember max depth and bottom time from the first dive, calculate how much of a SI I needed in order to safely execute the next dive, and simply make a mental note of when I could get back in the water and how deep and long I could dive, then just stick to the plan.

Possibly because 99% of my dives were/are shore dives, so I was in complete control of my repetitive diving schedule and plan; I'm not diving on a "boat" schedule. I could just kick back on shore until I had satisfied the SI requirement, then go do the 2nd dive of the day. No real need to log anything, just a scrap of paper and a pencil and the tables stuffed in my dive bag.... and the scrap paper was usually tossed out when I emptied my dive bag.

In hindsight, I do wish I had logged some of those dives....

Best wishes.

I have the PADI book that was part of the course material. But isn't there a better, sturdier log book available to buy? Or do you just write in a blank notebook?

You can buy a zippered 3-ring notebook that is about the same size as that book, and you can get refill pages of various designs to go inside it. It can also hold C-cards, tables of various kinds, etc. I bought a few different designs for the filler pages for a while, and then I made my own design, printed the pages, punched them, and used them for a while. Once when I ran out, I just folded some blank sheets of paper in half, trimmed them a little, punched them, and used them in that notebook. It turned out to be the best thing. If I have little to nothing to say about a dive, I use little to no space. If I want to write a treatise, I can ramble on as long as I want. So that is what I do now--blank sheets of paper in a small, 3-ring binder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom