When do you start to calculate your SAC rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen many post about knowing your SAC rate, when do you start to calculate it for dive planning. Mine changed drastically from my dive in Oct to my dive in March, I went from 25 Min's with less than 500 psi remaining to 50 Min's with over 500 psi remaining. Should I just keep my eye on my computer until it settles down then start using it for my dive plans??

SAC can be calculated for every dive (after the dive is completed.) Track it over time to see if you are improving or not. SAC can be affected by your physical fitness and your diving skills. Early in your diving career it will be affected most by how relaxed and comfortable you are in the water. Getting a lock on your buoyancy control is key.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AirRqmtFormulas.pdf

SAC can be calculated for every dive (after the dive is completed.) Track it over time to see if you are improving or not. SAC can be affected by your physical fitness and your diving skills. Early in your diving career it will be affected most by how relaxed and comfortable you are in the water. Getting a lock on your buoyancy control is key.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AirRqmtFormulas.pdf

Thanks, I always download to my computer and compare my dives. And been working on getting my buoyancy under control

Tracking SAC Its definitely important for new divers or if doing deco diving and planning. SAC is impacted by Depth, Water temp, Current and Visibility.

Depth - You suck down more gas the deeper you go. In addition deep dives can be more stressful which can result in added air use. Keep a close eye on the SPG when going deep. Below 100', pay attention as narcosis kicks in. If you realize your sucking down air and you are deep get shallower. This is not always possible, but even 10' will make a difference.

Cold - There are so many things that make cold water diving more difficult, cumbersome exposure suits, more weight, hoods, and thick gloves all make the diving more challenging. Its normal to use more air in cold water even for an experienced diver.

Current
- current is not an issue unless you have to exit at the same spot you entered. I always swim into the current at the start of the dive when possible. If your planning a dive in current swim into the current for 75% of your planned time or more. Its amazing how much ground you cover swimming with the current. Do not swim past your exit point.

Visibility
- Low vis makes things harder especially if you don't dive in low vis much. Harder = higher SAC. We were in the FL keys, the weather was awesome, but the vis was less than 10' after a storm. Eight people on the boat, four never made it to the reef. Two sat out the dive, and two guys spend time in water were 10' vis is considered good! Unfortunately poor vis takes practice and means more stress.

Realize any event that is stressful UW will general result in a higher SAC rate. This is compounded by depth.

Hmm . . . may I respectfully offer that SAC is not affected by depth, unless being at depth unnerves the diver? SAC is normalized to the surface, so it is corrected for depth. Gas consumption definitely increases with depth, though.

I think it's quite useful to keep track of one's SAC rate until it plateaus . . . and then check it occasionally anyway, because it may change. I plateaued out very early, and then several years later, had another substantial drop (not sure at all why).

Tracking SAC Its definitely important for new divers or if doing deco diving and planning. SAC is impacted by Depth, Water temp, Current and Visibility.

Depth - You suck down more gas the deeper you go. In addition deep dives can be more stressful which can result in added air use. Keep a close eye on the SPG when going deep. Below 100', pay attention as narcosis kicks in. If you realize your sucking down air and you are deep get shallower. This is not always possible, but even 10' will make a difference.

Cold - There are so many things that make cold water diving more difficult, cumbersome exposure suits, more weight, hoods, and thick gloves all make the diving more challenging. Its normal to use more air in cold water even for an experienced diver.

Current
- current is not an issue unless you have to exit at the same spot you entered. I always swim into the current at the start of the dive when possible. If your planning a dive in current swim into the current for 75% of your planned time or more. Its amazing how much ground you cover swimming with the current. Do not swim past your exit point.

Visibility
- Low vis makes things harder especially if you don't dive in low vis much. Harder = higher SAC. We were in the FL keys, the weather was awesome, but the vis was less than 10' after a storm. Eight people on the boat, four never made it to the reef. Two sat out the dive, and two guys spend time in water were 10' vis is considered good! Unfortunately poor vis takes practice and means more stress.

Realize any event that is stressful UW will general result in a higher SAC rate. This is compounded by depth.

Depth is taken into consideraton of SAC but the anxiety of depth may not be. Other factors such as current and visibility are often not taken into acccout. I find it useful to calculate all my SACs using Oceanlog software. It's very interesting and informative to see the factors affecting SAC. Cold water and exertion are two obvious factors affecting SAC.

Depth is taken into consideraton of SAC but the anxiety of depth may not be. Other factors such as current and visibility are often not taken into acccout. I find it useful to calculate all my SACs using Oceanlog software. It's very interesting and informative to see the factors affecting SAC. Cold water and exertion are two obvious factors affecting SAC.

I also use oceanlog and today my second dive sucked but I was filling a few lift bags @ 100'. I always note what I was doing so I get an idea why my SAC is way out of line.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I also use oceanlog and today my second dive sucked but I was filling a few lift bags @ 100'. I always note what I was doing so I get an idea why my SAC is way out of line.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.
Personally I always note anything "not regular", even if my air consumption is not obviously hurting my SAC. Maybe my SAC has just increased and the "activity" does infact affect it, but isnt obvious because of the general improvement?
I also have had a couple of incidents where one would suspect the sac to increase much more than it actually did.

I forgot, depth is built in....DOH....Nice catch! So anxiety may increase with depth.
Honestly my best dive with a .60 sac was actually my deepest average dive. Something like 65ft average for 36 min for a sac of .62. I've been watching my SAC since i started to dive (26 dives ago today) just a personal interest to see my consumption change. I was around 1.1 when I did my Ow dives. then dropped to around .8 by the time I was in the 10-15 dive range. Now it seems to be sitting around .62-.64. I noticed the biggest change after my PPB which is where the final drop from about .8 down to my current .62-.64. Also after getting all my own gear put me down around the .8 mark. Now its just enjoying the scenes. Had a good 51 min dive today on the breakwater. Which is not my longest dive. :D

I think a lot of it has to do with comfort more than anything. How comfortable are you with the dive for the day. How well are you acquainted with the gear you are using. How good your physiological condition is. Buoyancy control is nother are you adding and then dumping a lot of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom