When flying What equipment to take in the cabin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's always best if you can sneak your dive knife into the cabin, or even a small firearm. :D

yeah... funny story which involves me rocking up to an airport at 4am still a little under the weather from the previous night, being told to swap cabbin luggage at the 11th hour with a previously checked bag then having an "interview" with the Australian Federal Police :-/

bye bye scubapro titanium knife :( hello terrible (and expensive) start to a month long holiday.

P.S. You also can't take spare air on a flight. Not carry on or checked, even if you've emptied it.

yeah, i thought that seemed odd...

... cheers for the tips, i was going to check everything into oversize 'cept my computer... might grab my regs and mask now.

my question was regarding if the lower pressure in airplane compartments can damage the gauges, computer, etc. so I would take those onboard, as well as the expensive equipment.

This is not an issue. Pretty much all commercial airliners pressurize the cabin and cargo hold equally. Exceptions are few and generally limited to smaller airplanes where the cargo hold is located in the end of the fuselage and not underneath the cabin.

For a reg--with old analog consule with SPG, depth gauge, compass--does the pressure if in your checked luggage hurt any of that? Assume not because they are fluid filled.

A whole bunch of useless answers that don't answer the Ops question which was about dive gear and cabin/luggage compartment pressure differences.

The only gear items I've had problems with is my dive lights. Try opening one of those suckers after it's traveled in the baggage compartment of an airplane for any length of time.....

Actually, a non issue on most aircraft these days. Think structure - an airplane is a tube. Baggage and people are at the same pressure. The floor is not strong enough to withstand the pressure difference. There are a few exceptions - mostly on small aircraft. The large ones are pressurized equally.

To solve your light problem, you should have them open and the batteries out for storage and travel anyways. Your o rings will thank you for that. As far as pressure, you would have the same issue if they were in your carry on.

They always pull my bag off the belt and ask me to come over while they open up my bag and go through it.

Just FYI y'all, you can request that the bag checker don a new pair of gloves before (s)he goes through your carry on bags. This keeps germs from other people's stuff from getting on your stuff via the screener's hands.

And of course I'm subject to a full body strip search and anal probe but after the first few times it doesn't hurt as much and it takes some of the monotony out of traveling.

Yeah, I'd definitely request fresh gloves here...

I check all my gear in (no dive gear in the cabin). Never had a problem.

I take anything that is expensive or that I believe will get flagged by TSA. I don't want my checked bags opened.

If you don't like your bags rummaged through, you might want to get this a try:

Yeah, I'd definitely request fresh gloves here...

Totally unecessary. I shower before each and every flight.

It avoids those "embarrassing" moments when the security personnel start joking about how they think I'm an alien cause they found a Kling-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom