When have you called a dive and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Never let the almighty dollar (read "Geez, you know how much this dive cost me?) make you do something stupid.

the K
Excellent point. :thumb:

Overheard from a young newly wed couple in Key West last year who had just done the resort course that morning: "honey I know you're scared, your gear feels funny, and you're cold...but this dive trip is costing us a FORTUNE!!"

hmmmm, lets see, $80 for a dive charter or my life?????

:33:

does that include the tax?

nope, tax here would make it about $85.60, yup I think that would put me over the edge!!!

man... i'm sorry... $85.60 is 33 cents over where i draw the line.

i'm diving that sucker

Let's see...

Made a 3-some dive. Visibility was worse than expected, lost a buddy 2 times in 3 minutes, I called it for them. New rule, single buddy is the only way I'll dive in substandard visibility. Around there thats less than 5 feet by the way.

Made dive 1, seas were kicking up on a rocky ledge entry, I was weary and ddin't like the looks of it. I passed on dive 2. The rest of the party made the dive. A buddy got caught in the sugge and got rolled on the rocks (lucky, no harm done) and while he had a nice dive prefers to forget about that entry and exit.

First drysuit dive, actually just a test dip. Lots of surge and the water was full of debris, like swimming in coffee grounds, called it about 10 minuites once I has a feel for how my first guestimate of weight was working.

Several other times and sites where things just looked worse than I expected. We either went home or to a more sheltered site.

Some of the times it was an internal challenge to make the dive or call it, Everytime I called it I was happy that my obsession to dive did not overide safety.

Pete

i called one in jan. there were about 8 people at ginnie. one girl wanted to try a bp/w, and i was going to lend her mine & do my first dive in a jacket -:11:

then another friend said she wanted stef to try her wing instead of mine. i said ok, but she'll need my ss plate because i'd like her to see how it goes without a weight belt. i started tearing down her set up & mine to make the hybrid. well, modular, yes, but 'all parts fit all other parts'...no. oh, *hell* no. my plate and her wing and my sta went together fine, but her abs plate and my wing and her cambands - no. my wing's camband slots weren't in a spot that lined up on her plate. it took me a looong time to figure this out, and i was thoroughly frustrated by then. so i sent stef off to dive and called it. i was pissed and angry and trying to dive unfamiliar equipment would have been a very bad plan at this point. so i stomped around like a first-grader (i'm cute to others when pissed, but i don't suggest you laugh at me until later).

when i had cooled off a bit, i did my first ever doubles dive in perrone's doubles - all of 9 minutes! woo hoo! all's right with the world!

and that's my called dive story...

remember too, if someone else gives a lame reason...just let it go. So many times others try to say "oh you'll feel better in the water, etc, etc" Don't put them in a defensive position.

I called one for ear problems.
I called one for feeling a general sense of unease.
My brother and I called one because we drank too much the night before... (yeah I know diving hungover is a bad idea, but we hadn't seen each other for almost a year. that's my excuse anyway)

The Kraken:
Don't worry, Walter!!!
I'd dive/fly with you any time.

I'm wasn't worried, just teasing about the 64° F dive in just a swim suit. That was cold!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom