When have you called a dive and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
man... i'm sorry... $85.60 is 33 cents over where i draw the line.

i'm diving that sucker

I hear ya bro....

I've called a couple dives due to bad conditions when we arrived at the beach, frequently I'm the "senior" diver and I feel rather responsible for my buddies. I've also called a couple of dives "mid-dive" due to getting cold, and once just because I discovered how uncomfortable I was doing that dive with the buddy I had (who happened to be an experienced instructor... I just did not have much confidence in my safety that day with him)

On the other hand, I'm the last one to call a dive just because the vis is lower than usual, or the topside weather is bad etc..

I also had one dive I should have called (maybe more than one). My air tasted "funny" but being a shallow dive I figured I'd see if it caused problems before calling the dive... wound up with a mild headache, but my buddy agreed that I should have thumbed it. I informed the boat crew when I boarded the boat and was told "there can't be anything wrong with our air, we use an oiless compressor." I did make sure to inform them away from earshot of any other passengers, as I assumed it was a fluke, but I did want them to be aware of the problem.

Aloha, Tim

I have called two dives for the more obvious reasons like one guy having buoyancy issues on a low-vis night dive and another due to adverse sea conditions. There was one dive that I kanked just due to a really bad vibe. I still can't explain why I felt that way on that particular dive, but there were just little glitches and things happening as we were gearing up, and I just had a really bad feeling.

Anyone ever see the movie Final Destination?

I have called a few dives because of surface conditions, and a few because of cold. Never for bad vis. Its funny what the Northwest divers will dive in and consider OK vis.

Now I did cancel on dive trip because of a funny feeling about it. Found out later the dive boat sunk and almost everyone lost their dive gear. Remember to go with your gut. Its trying to tell you something. :D

Charles

You're right about "gut feeling". It's saved my bacon, more than once, in non-diving situations. I'll go with it, everytime.

where I am at in Japan I consider low lis to be 5ft and under. Regularly it's around 10-15 feet and if it's over 20 feet, we just had a dive of our lives.

Yeah, it's funny that I called a dive in Maui with visibility as good or better than what I routinely dive at home. But at home, I don't have to cope with significant surge at the same time -- things stay PUT until I swim into them.

Once I called a dive after my (also new) dive buddy dropped her gear, stripped off her wetsuit and curled into the fetal position after the first dive (there was a rough surf entry followed by surge).

I'm not sure if *I*called the dive or she did... but man oh man the look I got when I suggested we rest up and try again...

Back
Top Bottom