When it rains it pours.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as jackets go, those are very durable. I worked at a shop that sold them and we also used them for rental/class. This single bladder has an advantage over a covered bladder in the field. If you get a small or medium size puncture, dab on a bit of Aquaseal and it's fixed for a long time.

Nice haul, Bastxxxd.....and I mean that in the nicest way.

Last edited:
Even though some of this isn't really technically vintage I thought I would post up my latest good fortune that rained down on me.
I don't care to post this anywhere else since most of my friends hang on the vintage forum anyway.
It's not like I'm some schmuck that's here trying to pawn what I think is vintage gear.
You know what I mean.

So anyway, I get a call from my buddy who says he was given some of those old metal regs that I like. Some lady gave them to him because she and her husband were diving in Florida years ago and he got bitten in half by a bull shark. Anyway she was having a closet re done and this old dive gear was in a box that she forgot about. When she rediscovered it she told my buddy to take it out of her sight because she was never going to dive again. In turn he called me and told me to take it because he was never going to use it or rebuild it.

So here it is.
One is a MK5/109 BA
The other 1st stage I don't know what model it is with a 109 second. Included in the box was 2 original SP stab jackets, a womens size and a larger mens size. Both of them have early air II's it looks like (I didn't even know they had them back then)
The regs were probably bought at the same time the jackets were.
I don't know what I'm going to do with the stab jackets since I won't use them, but the regs, hell yeah!

It's funny, here I am finicking and fanaticking on my MK3 trying to pimp it out and now I get all this in my lap, great.
Why not just give a bottle of wiskey to an alcoholic.

The old gear virus, yeah, I'm screwed!

If you'll look at the first stage, you'll see a port on the top. That is the best port to put your second stage on. It allows the air to flow through the piston and through the hose without taking a 90 degree turn, which decreases turbulence and increases flow, as is seen in the US Navy tests. Actually, that port came about because Scubapro was embarrassed when their less expensive Mark I first stage out-performed their more expensive Mark V in the Navy tests (which did not have the top port until later). I still have mine, but consider it with the AIR I second stage as a thoroughly modern, and very high performing, regulator.

SeaRat

The stab jacket was the hottest bc 25 years ago. If it holds air I would use it.

I'm sure that is what I wore in OW 1986, without the air1. Sweeeeeet find! Brings back memories of..........just trying not to die.

I had a buddy who bought some used gear from the widow of a man who died in a diving accident. Just to be on the safe side he waved the gear through a cloud of white cedar smoke. That removed all the bad mojo. Just a suggestion....

If you'll look at the first stage, you'll see a port on the top. That is the best port to put your second stage on. It allows the air to flow through the piston and through the hose without taking a 90 degree turn, which decreases turbulence and increases flow, as is seen in the US Navy tests. Actually, that port came about because Scubapro was embarrassed when their less expensive Mark I first stage out-performed their more expensive Mark V in the Navy tests (which did not have the top port until later). I still have mine, but consider it with the AIR I second stage as a thoroughly modern, and very high performing, regulator.

SeaRat
I actually do run my primary second off the end port of both my MK5 and my later MK20.
I was diving in Hawaii years ago on a boat and got into a discussion with a guy who ran his hose routing that way. He showed me the routing set up and it made sense so I adopted the configuration that night when I got back to my hotel.
It also makes sense because I like to run all hoses under my arms, so with the 1st stage end pointing down at a 45 degree angle to the right allows for the second stage hose to run right down and under my right arm, and the SPG to run at a 45 degree angle down off the other side down to a D-ring on my waist band. If you look at me from the front I have no hoses running over my shoulders and there are no hoses visible sticking out from the tank behind me. If you didn't see the second stage you'd think I was freediving.
The only thing over my shoulder would be a LP inflator for a wing if I use one, or a double hose obviously.

Both first stages have specs kits, the large bulky one is just an earlier model. There are two ports in it and they each secure a small sintered iron filter that holds the silicone grease in place.

The second version just used small holes in the ambient chamber to retain the silicone.

The final version used on the late model Mk 10's incorporated a rubber ring set in a groove to retain the silicone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom