When the weather gets "Sporty" here in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islamorada01.jpg

The Islamorada Caboose at MM 82 Bay Side. Not much to see here, so it's a quick stop.

Islamorada02.jpg

The historic markers are getting harder to read, but they document the Great Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. It was the first Category 5 storm ever recorded and had 200 mph winds when it made land fall. Over 600 people lost their lives and it destroyed Flagler's Railroad here in the Keys.

Islamorada03.jpg

The Gumbo-limbo or Tourist tree is quite common throughout the Keys.

Islamorada04.jpg

It get's it's name from it's red peeling bark which reminds us of a tourist's bad sun burn!

islamorada05.jpg

The Hurricane Memorial at MM 82 Ocean Side. The cremated remains of about 300 of the 600+ dead from the Great Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 are interred here.

Islamorada06.jpg

A tile mosaic of the Florida Keys.

Islamorada07.jpg

Fossil Coral used for the memorial.

Islamorada09.jpg

Islamorada10.jpg

Islamorada12.jpg

Just a bit further up at MM 83 Bayside is the History of Diving Museum. This is a must see, even if there are no winds to keep you out of the water...

DiveHist01.jpg

You just can't miss the sign with the portable hyperbaric chamber and anchor

DiveHist02.jpg

There's always a monthly seminar to catch. In February 2013, it will be John Chatterton. Mark your calendars to get here.

DiveHist03.jpg

I love this happy diver on the treasure chest.

DiveHist04.jpg

Tourists line up to pay their nominal admission.

DiveHist05.jpg

Get your helium fix right here!

DiveHist06.jpg

They have cool stuff even in the gift shop!

DiveHist07.jpg

Feel free to touch the exhibit. This is the real thing.

DiveHist08.jpg

The late Dr Joe Bauer invites you through the air lock. His wife, Dr Sally Bauer is still the Executive Director of the museum.

DiveHist09.jpg

The early attempts at diving were weird and wacky. I wonder what their certification program was like? :D

DiveHist10.jpg

The museum takes you through the evolution of the dive helmet. It's just amazing to see all these in one place and up close.

DiveHist11.jpg

Our own Matt the Aquaman, Matt Johnston is a part of the Museum.

DiveHist12.jpg

Early cameras and their housings.

DiveHist13.jpg

Stepping out of the Dive Locker

DiveHist14.jpg

Not even half of the helmets they have on display. What a remarkable collection from around the world.

DiveHist15.jpg

How they got in and out of the water. There was an utter reliance on others to keep you breathing.

DiveHist16.jpg

The early days of rebreathers.

DiveHist17.jpg

A more modern example of a rebreather.

DiveHist18.jpg

What an awesome collection of regulators. No, I don't have them all in this picture. You'll just have to come and see it for yourself.

DiveHist19.jpg

Single atmosphere diving suits round out the displays.

DiveHist20.jpg

You can even buy a modern full head helmet in the gift shop. That's a picture of Dr Sally Bauer to give you an idea of how it looks.

On even the windiest days, paddling the trails around the Wheel Ditch is a great activity. Kayaks are available at Robbies.

Here I thought is was only my family that warshed clothes or went to Warshington, DC:)

---------- Post added January 30th, 2013 at 06:59 PM ----------

Shark Valley Loop, they even rent bikes there for those of you that did not bring your own from the North:) Wonderful 15 mile bike ride, when we went we saw 40-50 gators that were just laying in the trail sleeping. LOVED this bike ride.

Kayaking though the everglades

Another for the Miami Zoo, Spice and fruit park-you can eat the ripe fruit from the ground.

John Pennekamp park snorkeling at the beach.

Bike riding down one of the canal paths

since moving down here, I don't think I will ever run out of things to do!

Why not head north a little to the Monkey Jungle or the Coral Castle? I have been dragged there, and others should have to go too.
DivemasterDennsi

The Coral Castle is an interesting place to check out on a windy day. Homestead is not too far from Key Largo for an easy day trip.

IMG_1396.jpg

suck it up and go diving. we did today on a 22FT vessel. marine forecast was way off , 16-17KTs right down the reef tract, instead of the forecasted 5+ KTS,,,,

reefman
key largo

suck it up and go diving. we did today on a 22FT vessel. marine forecast was way off , 16-17KTs right down the reef tract, instead of the forecasted 5+ KTS,,,,

reefman
key largo

If I had my own boat there I would be doing just that but as I vacation there I have to depend on charters.

How about snorkeling on a day the boats are not going out? I will be with 5 other people who want to snorkel the last week of March. Where can I take them on a day I am not going out on the reef? These are not experienced people so simple and shallow would be best for them. The water up here has only 5' vis on a good day even so 20' vis there would be good for them.

Rich, Snorkeling on the bayside can be fun, especially when seas are uncooperative. Although it isnt our usual lovely reefs, it is 6-12 ft deep for a mile out. The bay is a seagrass habitat where you will see cassiopeias (upside down jelly fish), seahorses, crabs, etc. Access to the bayside is limited to the private man-made beaches at some hotels.

Harry Harris Park at MM 94 Oceanside offers a beach with a breakwater and lagoon area, also has a boat ramp and playground.
John Pennekamp State Park has Cannon Beach. Lots of Snorkelers go there to see the cannons from the 1700s which are on a wall in 6ft of water. Viz can range from 5-15 ft here.

The best snorkeling of course is out on our famous beautiful reefs accessible only by boat. The snorkel boats go to shallow reefs like White Bank and Banana Reef which are 10-12+/- ft deep. Dive boats going shallow will take snorkelers to the Christ Statue, City of Washington wreck, Molasses Reef and other reefs 18-25 ft deep or so.

There is also Kayaking along the mangroves with snorkeling. Check with Garl & Suzette at Coastal-Kayaking.com.

Happy Diving!
Elena

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom