When the weather gets "Sporty" here in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that Robbie's Marina rents kayaks and that Indian Key is less then a mile away. Would Indian Key be a good place to take novice snorkelers who have some experience kayaking?

Yes, but not if the weather's snarky for dive boats. :D Indian Key is still Ocean side.

Wind from the SE are not good for the Ocean Side where the reefs and the dive boats are. Winds from the North are not so good for Bay Side where the back country kayaking, fishing and snorkeling for sea horses are.

If you aren't sure: ASK. When you get an answer, LISTEN. We want as many people out enjoying themselves as possible. We lose money/business when we keep people in. If we suggest you find something else to do, then odds are: we're right. :ijs:

I have heard that Robbie's Marina rents kayaks and that Indian Key is less then a mile away. Would Indian Key be a good place to take novice snorkelers who have some experience kayaking?

the wreck of the san pedro(detailed map provided in the link below, 4 mooring buoys on site) is 1.25NM south of indian key as well as a few coral patches along the way, decent snorkeling went the wind isnt blowing. the area is susceptible to silting as it lies in hawks channel. as doc stated in post #32, indian key is oceanside and underwater activites are problematic with sporty seas. lignumvitae key is on the bayside adjacent to indian key(kayaks rented from robbies) and has areas of seagrass and mangroves to explore as well as one of the highest points in the keys,,,,,,,,,,,,

San Pedro

Welcome to Florida State Parks

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
Ha, Pete... 4-5 ft waves being "sporty?" Why we call them "ankle slappers" out here on the Left Coast!

That's because you don't have coral that's five foot below the surface. :blinking:

Oh snap! You just don't have any coral! :D :D :D

Last edited:
NetDoc & reefman, Thanks for the snorkeling and kayaking info. The other 5 people I am with do not dive so this will give me something to do with them in the afternoons when I am finished diving.

Another interesting place to go is the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables if you want to go as far up as Miami.

IMG_1405.jpgIMG_1404.jpgIMG_1402.jpg

Oh snap! You just don't have any coral! :D :D :D
Have you ever dove the West Coast?

Hydrocoral+at+Outer+Pinnacles.jpg

What you don't have is kelp forests! :cakefight: Photo credit: Rob L.

DSC_0185.jpg

Our maximums for diving are around 8 ft swells. We have been out in 15 ft swells with a long interval and had a great day of diving. We have taken my little boat out and dove in 10 ft swells a couple of times. Wind chop is the killer but the bigger boats go out in pretty nasty conditions. Short interval swells are the challenge with boats. Surge is the norm and to us bad surge is over 6 ft. 2-3 ft surge in 20 ft of water makes for a nice day of diving.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the Keys and the land sites to hit up! :D

I am going to be there in 12 days and am still looking for suggestions for the non-divers in my group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom