When the weather gets "Sporty" here in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't drive 13 hours to look at deer :D

Please make sure the weather is always decent when I'm there...

Tongue firmly in cheeck! The weather was sporty my only trip.

Mike

Hog Heaven on Windley Key is also a great spot to sit out a windy day. Good food and of course drinks at a reasonable price in a laid back place with a great location. As soon as you cross over the bridge coming south onto Windley Key it is on your left.

If you want to see the "little dears"..(snicker, try arguing that syntax Wookie)....

I'm from Maine. They ah deah's. It is improper to use an "r" unless you put it in a word that doesn't have one (ex. warsh, something you do to a cah, or drwaring, which is when you put pencil to paper and create an image).

Wookie. Missing home, until I see a national weather report.

Can't miss hand-feeding the tarpon at Robbies. Even after 15 years going to the Keys still one of the most fun things you can do. Just remember to let go of the bait so your arm doesn't become tarpon food! They give a very nasty scrape as I learned . . . Great place to have a beer and a meal and look out over the back country, and some nice kayaks and canoes for rent for tooling around in the mangroves and flats even with a breeze blowing. Great place to spend a whole day if you want.

Last night I heard that the wind would be at least 20 knots and coming from the SE. I knew right there that today would be labeled "Sporty". However, mselenaous had a guiding gig, so she didn't get to simply opt out. Now for those who don't know, guides earn their money going out, not staying in. So, if the guide tells you that it will be "Sporty", that's their lingo for "I will only go out if you pay me to go out." They were told 5 foot or so and they got sixes and sevens instead. This is a case where a "10" is not a perfect score! :D :D :D Over half the boat was sea sick and the rest were thinking about it. Sporty is as Sporty does. One of her peeps only did one dive. Now in most cases, getting off of the boat when you are sea sick is a must. If you are shallow enough though, it just doesn't matter. She reported major surge on the bottom and we ain't talking about a Russian officer here. I felt kind of sorry for her, but that didn't stop me from getting out and having some fun.

Now, as I write about these places you'll notice a mapping convention. I will give a mile marker and state whether it's Bay Side or Ocean Side. I'll try to include some pics so you'll know what to look for. Today was a busy day. I wanted to hit Windley Key State Geological Park, but they are closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Instead, I hit Anne's Beach, the Islamorada caboose, the Hurricane Memorial and the History of Diving Museum. I didn't hit them in that order, but that's how I'm going to present them! :D

One of Mselenaous' and my favorite questions to field here in Key Largo is "Where's the Beach?" I usually point to my cat or we patiently explain that the nearest real beach is back up by Miami. The Keys are mostly composed of lime rock/fossil coral with few natural sandy beaches. Anne's Beach is a nice small, mangrovey beach found @ MM 73, Ocean Side. It has two parking lots one at either end and the northern one even has two showers with foot washers. Yes, there's sand, but there's a lot of white clay mixed in. That means it gets a bit slick when wet and there are patches that are hard as rock as well some mushy, mushy spots too. Take off your shoes or sandals and let your feet have some fun.

AnnesBeach01.jpg

The sign sits midway between both entrances.

AnnesBeach02.jpg

The view south from the southern parking lot. Quite picturesque and pleasant.

AnnesBeach03.jpg

Kite Boarders getting ready to set sail. The guy in the foreground is measuring the wind speed: 22.6 knots!!!

AnnesBeach04.jpg

These guys are having a lot of fun with the wind. The waves aren't too bad in here though. Much, much rougher on the other side of the reefs... the places we like to dive!

AnnesBeach05.jpg

The Board walk makes getting through the mangroves and buttonwood very easy. They have outlets so you can get to walk on the beach.

AnnesBeach06.jpg

Watch where you step. Critters live here in the sand!

AnnesBeach07.jpg

Flowers and sea grasses abound on the hard as rock dunes. This is not sugar sand like the beaches on the main land.

AnnesBeach08.jpg

It's a wild beach. No one comes in to manicure the beach.

Last edited:
AnnesBeach09.jpg

Watch your step #2. That's white gumbo clay with a dash of sand thrown in. Be careful when you step in or out of the water as the clay near the edge is very slipper. Once in the water, it's mostly sand with plenty of great traction!

AnnesBeach10.jpg

Watch your step #3. That's a Portuguese Man O' War that has been washed ashore. They are a hydroid related to Fire Coral. Don't step on it. Don't pick it up. Avoid it! I saw 6 of them along the beach.

AnnesBeach11.jpg

You can sneak out to the ocean between the mangroves as well. Just be sure to shuffle along as you do.

AnnesBeach12.jpg

The dunes here are pretty hard due to the clay. That doesn't stop ground cover from growing.

AnnesBeach13.jpg

You can see how they ran the board walk to take in the scenic view. The roofed verandas are a nice touch and the entire park is wheel chair accessible.

AnnesBeach14.jpg

Getting back onto the board walk is easy. BTW, this sand was kind of sugary!

AnnesBeach15.jpg

Civilization is never far away and fortunately it does not seem to take away from the tranquility or the beauty.

AnnesBeach16.jpg

The two showers by the bathrooms at the North Parking lot. You can rinse off before you continue on!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom