When to Pee your Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peeing on your hand is supposed to stop blisters. Personally I think it's just a joke to get people to pee on their hands.

Never pee'd in a wetsuit - I visit the loo as the last thing I do before getting on a boat or getting changed for a shore dive, and don't drink any coffee or cola the morning of a dive (caffeine is a diuretic (?) which increases the need to urinate). I read somewhere once that if you have a tendancy to want to pee while diving, that you should drink LOTS of water before your dive, as this makes your urine clearer and less odorous (sort of like when you're at the pub and have had more than a few beers), rather than the "morning after" yellow stinky stuff.

Originally posted by scuba-sass
No offense, but sometimes it's a whole lot longer than 60 minutes. What would you do, while immersed in water, or surrounded by splashing water, for Four Hours?!?
Scuba-sass :)

Scuba-sass, no offense taken!

If it was warm water, couldn't you go in the sea after the dive? That's what we do here. Get our BCD's and weights back on the boat, and then pull down our wetsuits like a pair of trousers, and"relieve some of the pressure" as it were...

Never experienced diving in cold water, so I can't comment on that situation.

Have been far from a potty when the urge became overwhelming, and PAINFUL! That's what the closest bush, tree, shrub or parked car is for! :hiding: Sometimes ya gotta go no matter what!
Ber :bunny:

Stone: now you mention it, it is quite ironic... I'm a big advocate of going in the sea (wetsuit half off), for the simple fact that I get claustrophobic in the head, when there is one. When there isn't, well same applies, as I won't do it my own wetsuit!

Ber Rabbit: touche! been fortunate enough never to have experienced this during a dive so far.

Ever done an equipment don/doff exercise? I guess if you really had to go and could get over an area where you wouldn't crush any sea life you could simply remove your bc and take the wetsuit to your preferred position. They park cars in quarries too!

Ber :bunny:

Those sqeamish about peeing in their wetsuit should remember that dehydration (intentional or otherwise) is closely correlated with decompression illnesses. If you keep your fluid levels up where they belong, your bladder is going to fill up when you hit the water - it's a normal reaction. By avoiding "swimming in waters from one's own well" you may end up with a chamber ride, instead. :coke:

An applicable article about why your bladder fills up as soon as you hit the water:
Divers Alert Network: Bladder Discomfort

Besides, urine is essentially sterile (unless you have a UTI) water with about 5% dissolved solids and other innocuous "stuff." You can actually drink it. For the truly weird, try this link:
The Chinese Association for Urine Therapy

So the next time you're hit with the urge, let it flow.

:yuck:
Personally, I've never consumed anything that I liked so much that I wanted a second pass at it - although a few million Chinese seem to disagree.
It's always a concern that folks diving wet will try to stay dry by restricting their fluid intake. That's not a good thing and I hope that everyone understands the risk dehydration imposes to diver safety.
I don't worry about hitting the water with a full tank, so to speak, but I'm completely content to limit my fluid consumption to more "mainstream" beverages. Although I hear that Ghandi...

I should clarify that I'm not talking about skimping on water before a dive. I drink a lot of water before and after a dive, and try to pee (in the sea!) before putting all my equipment on or after the dive.

As for equipment on/off - whenever I possible, I prefer to put all my equipment on in the water, including the wetsuit, simply because it's easier and I'm pretty much a wimp when it comes to carrying the tank on my back. If I can't do that, then if needs be, will jump in first (to pee) and then get back on the boat and put on the gear.
Of course, all this is great when air/water temps are 27C+. Have yet to experience a similar situation in less than tropical conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom