When to Scrub a Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think other than the obvious problems with broken gear and not being well (ear problems, cough etc), I have only ever called a dive before going in due to the conditions being too unsafe or not worth it (filthy water). Others have called dives for similar reasons and also because they just don't want to do it. That's okay, as virtually all the time there are more than two of us so I still get the chance to dive.

Under the water, okay to call the dive for any reason, but this has rarely happened except for extremely bad visibility and too strong a current. I have called one as I was extremely narked at 45 metres, another time because a buddy was the same at a similar depth.

Great topic, glad someone started. As other have said - ANY dive, at ANY time, for ANY (or no) reason. I've called a couple - seasickness, first and only time I've heaved on a boat. Called a night dive after about 15 minutes in (took 40 min to gear up), just wasn't feeling comfortable. My buddy/husband never questions why, just says OK and he is not a just 'OK' kind of guy in most things. Diving is the 1 thing he doesn't push or question.

Had my brother/buddy call a dive at the surface after a long swim out > he had a gear issue on shore, fell on entering, got a little overheated and by the time we got out, he wasn't feeling it. OK, no problem, we went back. He told me to dive with the group and he would head in, but nope, that's not what 'buddy' means. He was upset I missed the dive. I told him I can dive another day, would not forgive myself if you had an issue on the way or getting out. And mom would never forgive me.

Any reason [including none], any time. I have called several dives [and completed a few I should have called]. Two memorable but unusual reasons were each in the Bay islands of Honduras: 1) we had just tied up at a mooring and were gearing up when a large tiger shark circled our boat, we simply un-moored and moved on to a safer spot; 2) while motoring out from the dock to our first dive spot, the boat began taking on water [as in faster than the bilge pump could pump it out] that we made it back to the dock was an adventure in itself, but in the end the boat was beached and didn't sink. It was packing along the propeller shaft that had failed and allowed water to enter the bilge.
I've called dives when I couldn't equalize due to congestion; due to headache brought on by too much celebration the night before; a broken mask strap at depth; and several others that I can't recall the exact reason for. Bottom line is don't be concerned about calling a dive, it happens to all of us.

I'mma say "yes, I totally agree. But..."

I think there's an important distinction to be made between "I shouldn't do this dive" and "I'm being poopy."

Sometimes going diving is like going to the gym or going for a run. Maybe you're just feeling like a party-pooper and don't really feel like it, maaaaan. Maybe getting up early just kinda sucks. Or the weather forecast has a 20% chance of showers, and you're really not sure if you want to bother... Or you're really not looking forward to the boat ride 'cuz you're prone to seasickness. Or everything just seems like a lot of work.

If there's a little voice in your head that says, "I'm just not up to this, I shouldn't go," or "Today's a bummer day. I'm just not in the mood," or "I could push through, but if I go, it's probably gonna suck," then by all means, listen to that voice and scrub the dive. But those times that I've pushed myself a bit -- "C'mon, get over yourself. Just do it." -- and geared up despite myself have turned out to be some really good dives.
Diving for most people is (or should be) a fun hobby. Not a job, competitive sport, or chore.

There can be some utility to "doing it anyway" or doing dives specifically for practice and skill. Though I usually suggest people do separate practice-dives or practice a few minutes each dive but mostly have fun.

So, I suppose I somewhat agree, somewhat disagree. Nuance is hard.

told him I can dive another day, would not forgive myself if you had an issue on the way or getting out.
Every dive you come back safely from is an opportunity to do dozens, hundreds, or perhaps even thousands more dives.

And in some cases standards for one agency were just changed that are going to put divers and instructors at even more risk.

I won't ask the agency but I would be interested in knowing what standards were changed.

I'mma say "yes, I totally agree. But..."

I think there's an important distinction to be made between "I shouldn't do this dive" and "I'm being poopy."
That’s a good point. There is a distinction between calling a dive for legitimate reasons (which could be a bunch of different things) and calling a dive because you are being lazy. Especially if diving from a private vessel.

I keep my boat inland on a trailer. Usually dive with a small group. If a diver calls off the day before, that’s fine. Calling off the day of, or just not showing up might get looked at differently. On my boat, I often dive with just a couple others. If there are three divers, it’s two down, one on the boat, and we rotate. A diver that cancels last minute, means that there aren’t enough to go. That’s happened, and no hard feelings for legitimate reasons. Even just not feeling up for the dive is fine. Stayed out too late the night before, hungover, etc. are red flags.

If the red flags start to become a pattern, then there is a very good chance I won’t invite you on the next trip. If you don’t even bother to call and just don’t show up, then you are probably already off the list unless you have a real good reason.

If there are three divers, it’s two down, one on the boat, and we rotate. A diver that cancels last minute, means that there aren’t enough to go.
This specific situation isn't really about diving, it's about having a mutual agreement and following through. That may even be a good reason to just hang out on the boat, but still skip the dive.

Having a friend or dive-buddy that lets you dive off their boat, and doesn't charge you $50+, is a huge benefit. Owning a boat, dealing with slip-rentals, etc all starts to add up real quick.

(As a random side-note, I'm thankful for my dive-buddy with a boat. Though he has a tendency to only text me the night before, which means I may miss the text-message or end up scrambling to get ready).

Every diver has the right to call a dive for any reason. They should never be peer pressured into it. Great comments in the thread.
As to your second question my answer would be no. Too many instructors just follow the required skill sets to teach and too many customers want their training down and dirty and quick. It isn't the agency that is good or bad, it's the instructor and their willingness to go beyond the required skills. Personally I teach my instructors to consider this when certifying a new diver - can they go to Bonaire, get one of those pickup trucks and hit the island diving on their own? If we haven't prepared them to do that, we haven't done the job right.

Call a dive anytime you want, for any reason

Foster a relationship with you dive buddies so that you can call a dive anytime, for any reason, and not hesitate or feel bad about it.

Once I called a dive in less than 5 minutes. We dropped down a mooring line in heavy current to a wreck at 100 feet, and immediately I knew that I was in over my head. I called the dive.
Dive in St Croix they dropped us in the water after dive briefing stating the depth was around 50ft. HAd rained night before and the dive site was close to shore. Wife and I descended slowly facing each other. Vis was such that was all we could see. Suddenly my feet hit bottom and still no vis. We surfaced and saw others had as well. Back on the boat moving to another dive site I went to see the captain and suggested he put a DM in the water first before having all of us call the dive due to low vis again. The other site ended up being OK, not great vis.

Every diver has the right to call a dive for any reason. They should never be peer pressured into it. Great comments in the thread.
As to your second question my answer would be no. Too many instructors just follow the required skill sets to teach and too many customers want their training down and dirty and quick. It isn't the agency that is good or bad, it's the instructor and their willingness to go beyond the required skills. Personally I teach my instructors to consider this when certifying a new diver - can they go to Bonaire, get one of those pickup trucks and hit the island diving on their own? If we haven't prepared them to do that, we haven't done the job right.
THIS! Makes me want to come do my AOW with you

Back
Top Bottom