When to Scrub a Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anytime you are asking yourself whether you should dive or not.....you just answered your own question.

Anyone can call a dive at any time for any reason.

One of the most important safety rules of diving.

ANY REASON MEANS ANY REASON
I was hoping to hear this. These are the things that I hope are repeated over and over even in, or especially in, a training environment. Anybody can stop the work (or the dive) for any reason.
I'mma say "yes, I totally agree. But..."

I think there's an important distinction to be made between "I shouldn't do this dive" and "I'm being poopy."

Sometimes going diving is like going to the gym or going for a run. Maybe you're just feeling like a party-pooper and don't really feel like it, maaaaan. Maybe getting up early just kinda sucks. Or the weather forecast has a 20% chance of showers, and you're really not sure if you want to bother... Or you're really not looking forward to the boat ride 'cuz you're prone to seasickness. Or everything just seems like a lot of work.

If there's a little voice in your head that says, "I'm just not up to this, I shouldn't go," or "Today's a bummer day. I'm just not in the mood," or "I could push through, but if I go, it's probably gonna suck," then by all means, listen to that voice and scrub the dive. But those times that I've pushed myself a bit -- "C'mon, get over yourself. Just do it." -- and geared up despite myself have turned out to be some really good dives.

Large marine predators - tiger sharks, bull sharks, whites, or orcas: the dive is over. Frequency of attack is low, sure. That doesn’t change that they are apex predators, and I’m not. Big jellyfish too. They look cool in pictures but diving with them isn’t my jam.
I’m surprised sharks haven’t been mentioned until now. I guess the more you dive with them you gain a bit more trust. But I ran into a fairly large black tip while snorkeling Molasses Reef and I exited the water pronto.

I’m surprised sharks haven’t been mentioned until now. I guess the more you dive with them you gain a bit more trust. But I ran into a fairly large black tip while snorkeling Molasses Reef and I exited the water pronto.
Sharks just need to be flipped over onto their backs to go into a state called tonic immobility.

What's the problem? :poke:

I’ve called a couple of dives, and the reasons vary. On one, it was likely CO2 induced. I just felt like I could not get enough air. Tried to settle down, but it was not happening. A few others were called for poor vis. No point in a hunting dive when you can’t see the fish.

I have also been on dives where others have thumbed at some point. I will absolutely respect a buddy’s right to thumb a dive for any reason, but I will also ask why. Not to ridicule, but to understand. There is a big difference in a diver just not feeling it, and a diver feeling hungover. The former is not a problem at all. The latter is a huge red flag. Generally, it’s off of my boat, so having reliable buddies is important.

Large marine predators - tiger sharks, bull sharks, whites, or orcas: the dive is over. Frequency of attack is low, sure. That doesn’t change that they are apex predators, and I’m not.
I am.

Generally, unless I’m hunting, the sharks are not *interested in me. When I am hunting, I am generally ready. Shark Shield strapped to my ankle and a power head clipped to my speargun. Shark Shield usually does the trick, though.

That said, before I got the Shark Shield I have shortened hunting dives due to bulls nearby. I chased them away, but convinced myself they were just out of sight, which was probably true.

* A big caveat to this. In the areas where I generally dive, shark feeding dives are not really a thing. If they are common where you dive, I’d consider that they are associating divers with food.

I called a dive this week because I didn't sleep well and was feeling a little ill. I probably could have done the dives, but it wasn't worth it to me. That's harder for me to do than it is to have a student call a dive. FWIW, I always praise students who call dives because that shows they understand how I've trained them, and it shows maturity.

I don't care if it's a, "Can we wait another 30 minutes?" or if it's, "I don't want to dive anymore today." You're getting praised for being a good student (even if that is inconvenient for me). Growing smart divers is much more important to me, in the long run than making things fit my personal timeline.

To clarify, sharks are one of my favorite marine animals to dive around. Those specific species though, I’m going to appreciate their splendor and make my way back to the boat before they get too interested. I don’t mess around w orcas period.

I don’t mess around w orcas period.
Why? Plenty of them in the waters off WA/BC and New Zealand. Dr. Visser snorkels with them.

My dive buddies used to joke about seeing orcas every time someone didn't make trip. I miss out on a trip out to Neah Bay and I get messages about orcas.

Then I receive the video of my buddy surfacing next to a pod of orcas going by.

I have mastered the art of kicking my own arse.

Why? Plenty of them in the waters off WA/BC and New Zealand. Dr. Visser snorkels with them.

My dive buddies used to joke about seeing orcas every time someone didn't make trip. I miss out on a trip out to Neah Bay and I get messages about orcas.

Then I receive the video of my buddy surfacing next to a pod of orcas going by.

I have mastered the art of kicking my own arse.
nah I’m good. I’ll scratch hunts if I spot a cougar in the PNW too. I’m not messing around w transient pods in particular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom