When to take DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr.RNA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When to take DIR-F

When (i.e. what level of experience) would you recommend DIR-F class? There is talk of a DIR-F class coming to AZ (a rarity) in mid April and I was wondering if my 40 dives of experience will provide enough practical experience for a DIR-F class.

i wish i had taken DIR-F earlier than i did (i took it around 100 dives)

i would say go for it; it will be a learning experience, and it will give you a great model/goal to shoot for

Dr.RNA:
When to take DIR-F

As soon as possible. Btw, it's called GUE Fundamentals now.

Dr.RNA:
When (i.e. what level of experience) would you recommend DIR-F class? There is talk of a DIR-F class coming to AZ (a rarity) in mid April and I was wondering if my 40 dives of experience will provide enough practical experience for a DIR-F class.

You'll be fine. I wish I had taken it straight after OW class.

To parrot the others before me, get in early. If you know its something you definately want to do, its best to start the good habits as soon as possible, rather than taking the course to correct bad habits that you've picked up along the way..

I waited till I had about 900 dives to take Fundies ... I wish I had taken it about 850 dives sooner.

FWIW - Lamont was one of my dive buddies in the class. He had about 25 dives. He did better than I did ... in part, I think, because he didn't have to work against ingrained habits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We just came back from Bonaire where my brother (just finished OW with 5 dives...) my cousin (finished OW many years ago but only 5 dives per year) and I (lots of dives, instructor) took some DIR intro dives with the GUE instructor their. My brother did excellent with that little experience, because, as others have said, he did not have to lose any bad habits. Take it as early as possible and then work on the skills you learn in class.

A couple of things . . . From my experience, what I think you need to take DIR-F (or GUE-F, or whatever you want to call it) is some minimal buoyancy control. You really need to be able to swim around between 15 and 25 feet without corking. If you can't do that, everything in the class is going to be at or beyond your ability, and you'll be pretty frustrated. We had two VERY novice divers in our class (8 and 16 dives) and just swimming the square pattern was a major challenge for them.

Second, if you're contemplating taking the class, get into the equipment you're going to use as soon as possible. Dealing with the challenges of the course while trying to cope with unfamiliar gear is hobbling yourself in a major way (see Caribbeandiver's report of his Fundies class).

And lastly, my GUE instructor is the guy teaching the class in AZ, and if you have any interest in taking Fundies, go for it -- He's a very nice man, a beautiful diver, and a VERY good teacher.

I took it early. Its very cool to learn in this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom