When traveling to dive resorts do you bring your own regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paraphrase......rental regs are crappy and not serviced......that is the essence of many posts........

Compressors, tanks, O2 Kits, marine radios, dive boats themselves, first aid kits, fill whips, nitrox fills........those would all be OK and well maintained......... but those darn rental regs would not be maintained.......

I get that someone may prefer their own setup and have no problem with that.......I also get that they own expensive gear they prefer to use and it may breath better than a lower end regs that rentals typically are.......I also get that everyone seems to have a rental reg horror story.......

But, over the years I seen many personal well maintained regs freeflow, mouth pieces fall off, hoses leak, SPGs crack along with computers failing, fin straps break, wetsuit zippers breaking, drysuit seals ripping or leaking, burst discs go, BCD's leak, inflator hoses rip, O rings fail........

Equipment issues are not limited to rental gear, it is part of diving.......

If you use a solid well regarded dive op the rental gear will be fine..........

Sorry for the rant........I just needed to post it.......:)

M

You just posted.....

"I could dive in anything, but I'd rather gear I prefer, am used to, fits me well, and is really good"........I concur 100% - dive your gear for those great reasons......

Your first post......"Rental regs are often crappy"......is what I had an issue with.......

Assuming it is a solid dive op......the rental reg may be the lower end model but not crappy........

M

Jorgy,
I don't know about you but I have NEVER seen a dive shop sanitize mouth pieces on rental gear. The last time I used rental gear, and it was from a "solid dive op",I wound up doing a CESA from 60 ft, once in a lifetime is enough for that experience. A regulator fits real well in carry on and if you think about it, it is usually all that other stuff you drag along that is a pain, not the 5 lb regulator set up.

Hey, our son was born in Bremerton, I was stationed at the Subase.......back in the day.........

I have seen many dive ops sanitize second stages.........I don't always look for it.....also been on dive boats that had a special small rinse tank for second stages........

I checked your profile, DM with a 1000 dives......I don't want to sound like a jerk, but perhaps you could provide the details about the dive and the dive op?

M

I paraphrase......rental regs are crappy and not serviced......that is the essence of many posts........

Compressors, tanks, O2 Kits, marine radios, dive boats themselves, first aid kits, fill whips, nitrox fills........those would all be OK and well maintained......... but those darn rental regs would not be maintained.......

I get that someone may prefer their own setup and have no problem with that.......I also get that they own expensive gear they prefer to use and it may breath better than a lower end regs that rentals typically are.......I also get that everyone seems to have a rental reg horror story.......

But, over the years I seen many personal well maintained regs freeflow, mouth pieces fall off, hoses leak, SPGs crack along with computers failing, fin straps break, wetsuit zippers breaking, drysuit seals ripping or leaking, burst discs go, BCD's leak, inflator hoses rip, O rings fail........

Equipment issues are not limited to rental gear, it is part of diving.......

M

Well we are all allowed our opinions and your seems to be just as strong in favor of the rental gear, as some of us are against it.

I will stand by my statement that my reg is of higher quality and better maintained than any rental reg. I have no rental gear horror story and I intend to keep that way.

As for the rest of the gear, like many I dive a bp/w and long hose set up something most dive shops are not going to have. I am also a fairly small women and fitting of a BC is sometimes tricky. Could I dive soemthing else...yes. But why? Most of the time when I travel I am traveling for the purpose of diving and thus want my gear to make it the best time I can have.

And I will agree, that I am sure you have seen many personal dive equipment failures. It happens. In my opinion it happens more to people who dive less frequently and take less care in maintaining their gear. As for myself, I dive often. Everytime I dive my gear gets soaked and inspected for any propblems, the regs are soaked in vinegar and water, everything is hung to dry. In over three hundred dives my only personal dive equipment failure was a blown o-ring on a first stage. Perhaps I am lucky or perhaps my meticulous care of my gear has something to do with it.

As for all the other things you mention...boats, marine radios, o2, first aid kits. I have been on boats that I would not go back to for one or more of those reasons. And to address the first aid kits...I am a RN and have had to use one of those on board kits...ugh just above useless. And yes I do now carry my own first aid kit in my dry bag.

I don't know if I am just picky or have high standards but which ever it is I don't see it changing soon. So I will continue to drag 95% of my gear thru airport checkpoints and in and out of hotels.

Most of the time I go to places where renting equipment is not an option. So it's either bring your own equipment or borrow it from friends who brought spares.

I bring spares :wink:

Cheers!

M

Dont let them all get on your case. There is nothing wrong with you using rental gear until you buy your own. Its actually good for you to try different types of regulators to see which one you like best before making a big investment. I am sure we all started out at one time or another on rental gear..

Dove for almost 20 years on rental regs vacation diving only - never had a problem. Problems were with fins, masks and wetsuits. Learned to carry my own.

Nothing wrong with rental regs as a rule, but I prefer my own and the "hassle factor" of carrying a reg or two is nothing compared to carrying camera gear so it is just a non issue to pack them in carry on these days.

I also have a strong preference for a Seacure mouthpiece which you are not going to find on a rental for obvious reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom