When will Coz re-open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long do you stay locked down? Until the virus doesn't exist? Until everybody is vaccinated? How long?
There is no pat answer to that question. Look up "rock and a hard place"...

Sadly, this virus is killing also a lot of young people here. Only small children seem to be safe (till now). Old people were dying faster, so initially it appeared that only old people were dying, Youngsters fight longer, but in the end also a number of them are dying, after having been sick for weeks.
We are opening factories in Italy starting on Monday, in a couple of weeks all the other countries will learn if this was a good idea or not. I warmly hope that the second wave will be much smaller than the first one, so that we can manage it without the need of closing everything again.
On my side, I will continue staying at home as long as possible, hoping to help mitigating the second wave.
What is clear is that, even when the second wave will extinguish, we will not be able to return immediately to "normal life": the following step (phase 3) will be opening bars and restaurants and hotels, possibly at half June, as the touristic season is providing subsistence to millions of people. This inevitably will cause the third wave, which will be the really dangerous one.
Then in September, if we survived to the third wave, it will be the time for reopening schools and universities. And this will cause the 4th wave.
If anything goes wrong in these key passages we will need to come back to the start, locking everything for one month, before reopening partially again. I warmly hope this does not happen, and we can slowly come back to something vaguely resembling "normality". For true "normality" it will take years!

I sure hope you're wrong lol. if this is the case then it sounds like 2020 is a scratch! no bueno!

I sure hope you're wrong lol. if this is the case then it sounds like 2020 is a scratch! no bueno!
This is the plan if everything goes well!
If something turns bad, we come back to day 1, everything locked, and we need to start again, more slowly...
I warmly hope that this does not happen, and that we can switch to phase 3 (bars, restaurants, hotels) around mid-June and to phase 4 at mid-September...
This is by far the better scenario we can hope for, this being the situation.
If I am wrong, then it will be hell worse.

There is no pat answer to that question. Look up "rock and a hard place"...
When you are between a rock and a hard place, sometimes you just have to keep going.

When you are between a rock and a hard place, sometimes you just have to keep going.
Keep going where? If we stay locked up, the economy will suffer greatly. If we open up many, possibly millions, will die. The phrase means that here are no good or even less bad options.

Someone on another thread said they thought Coz would re-open mid June. I doubt it - I just received a cancelation for my flight June 7. (Sun Country DFW to CZM)

Many are saying we must not open "too soon", well that's an easy thing to say but when exactly is the right time? No matter how long you stay shut down, there will be a second wave if there is not a vaccine. The experts all agree it is too late to eradicate it and it is here to stay. But there is no "starting over" just repeated cycles. I think the additional waves will be handled better. For one, we had almost no tests available on the first wave. For another, authorities were preaching NOT to wear masks.

Anyplace can "re-open". (The entire concept of "re-opening" is a gross simplification - used by and for simpletons). Northern Italy or New York City could "re-open" tomorrow. And the graph of deaths would go straight up. But that means nothing to the clowns who were sitting in the back row in math class telling fart jokes because they don't or can't or refuse to understand anything sciencey because it comes from pointy headed intellectuals in the deep state.

Covidiots seem to think that because some places (certainly not Cozumel) have been successful in "flattening the curve" that means it's all over, have a parade, pass around a cigar, whoopie. Flattening the curve (as has been done in Northern Italy and other places) has been accomplished at great sacrifice, and it's a good and necessary first step. But all it means is that the speed with which the virus is currently spreading has slowed. The virus is still there, waiting for fools. We are all still in a very real, very existential crisis. As soon as you stop the social distancing ("open up", for simpletons), then the speed of the infection spread will skyrocket. And then you go back to square one, and you have to stay there (sheltering in your home), with everything closed again, for another extended period maybe a week, a month, 3 months?).

Until there's a safe, effective vaccine (widely available), massive testing, and better understanding of the virus (fer cryin' outloud, we still don't know if having had it and recovered gives you any protection against getting it again!), we are all in an unprecedented crisis - yes, even the deniers, we're all in this together.

Unless you are OK with just giving up, stepping outside, passing around a beer, and shrugging (or denying) the thousands of deaths that will soon result. If you are OK with many thousands of deaths (quite possibly including your own) then be honest about it, and go drink some disinfectant as suggested by stable geniuses.

I would love to see Cozumel and Palau and Bali and Rome and Paris open for tourism again too - as soon as it's safe and responsible to do so. But I don't expect that will be the case this year or much of 2021 either (I'm hoping for Q4 2021 as an optimistic target for the next trip, if all goes well). Yes, I know this is already (and will continue to be) economically devastating to many, many people, especially those who live in places that have become dependent on international tourism. I'm personally suffering greatly from the financial impact of this pandemic, too. And I've lost a loved one to it. So yeah, I get it.

I wish I could book a cheap flight to CZM soon and enjoy some diving, just like everyone else. But I'm enough of a realist to understand why that's not going to happen for a long, long time. Others will figure it out eventually. Well, most will - some will be in denial until they're strapped to a gurney, gasping for breath, and wheeled into an overcrowded hospital and triaged, hoping it doesn't get as bad as things were in Northern Italy so recently.

So sorry you can't go diving for a while. Put on your big boy pants and grow up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom