When will Coz re-open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Covidiots seem to think that because some places (certainly not Cozumel) have been successful in "flattening the curve" that means it's all over, have a parade, pass around a cigar, whoopie. Flattening the curve (as has been done in Northern Italy and other places) has been accomplished at great sacrifice, and it's a good and necessary first step. But all it means is that the speed with which the virus is currently spreading has slowed. The virus is still there, waiting for fools. We are all still in a very real, very existential crisis. As soon as you stop the social distancing ("open up", for simpletons), then the speed of the infection spread will skyrocket. And then you go back to square one, and you have to stay there (sheltering in your home), with everything closed again, for another extended period maybe a week, a month, 3 months?).

Until there's a safe, effective vaccine (widely available), massive testing, and better understanding of the virus (fer cryin' outloud, we still don't know if having had it and recovered gives you any protection against getting it again!), we are all in an unprecedented crisis - yes, even the deniers, we're all in this together.

Speaking of math fails, and using US numbers simply because they are easily accessible, "flattening the curve" will take 10-20 years not a few months more. Less than 1% of the population has got it in two months, although new antibody testing shows up to 20% in some hotspots. So do the math, that will be 6% in a year if you keep the curve flat. How long til herd immunity. We can stay locked down til June 2021 and all that will happen if we "re-open" then is the rate of spread will skyrocket, unless there is a vaccine which is not at all certain there ever will be. Still don't see a vaccine for many viruses.

There's another form of "giving up" and that's just saying we'll stay in our homes forever and write off the world economy as dead. We may be alive just won't have a life worth living. Sucks for the young people who were really not much at risk.

You never answered how long we have to stay locked inside until it is safe to come out.

Keep going where? If we stay locked up, the economy will suffer greatly. If we open up many, possibly millions, will die. The phrase means that here are no good or even less bad options.
Do what we are doing. Shut down the popcorn machine because everybody fills their own bag. Stop shaking hands. Wash hands often. Don't hug people all the time. Encourage everybody with weakened immune systems to stay home. And keep right on going.

You never answered how long we have to stay locked inside until it is safe to come out.
Perhaps that's because as of now no one knows.

Perhaps that's because as of now no one knows.
How long do you think we can stop the world before that causes more deaths than the coronavirus? I think we will find we already exceeded that time.

I think the additional waves will be handled better. For one, we had almost no tests available on the first wave. For another, authorities were preaching NOT to wear masks.
On the other hand, the first wave came from a point source while successive waves can/will start from anywhere and everywhere.

How long do you think we can stop the world before that causes more deaths than the coronavirus? I think we will find we already exceeded that time.
I do not agree; the low number of deaths (if you can call it that) is caused by the measures the world has taken to fight its spread. The virus and the economic problems are inseparable; they are inversely dependent variables. The harder we squeeze one the more out of control the other gets.

Biggest question for me now is, what about October 2020..?

yes. just was not sure why people were still debating when it would open. i posted this earlier in the thread. maybe they did not see/ read it.

Back
Top Bottom