When you travel to dive do you do anything else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the trip & location...last few trips as examples:

Cozumel (multiple times here): Not much else to do, but we usually take a day to go to Playa and another to cruise the island for drinks & such.

Curacao: Spent a day checking out the island, but mostly diving.

Malaysia: We dove 10 days, then spent 4 days doing jungle treks, river tours, and orangutan sanctuary visits. Ended the trip spending a day in Singapore getting crazy spicy street food in little India, shopping, and then going to the Night Safari (amazing!)

Pretty much just diving if I'm traveling by myself. If my wife comes too, then we'll add in more non-diving activities.

Yup ... it's Ubud ... and that monkey was awfully disappointed I wanted to chat instead of feeding him a banana ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Those Macaques, though cute and smart, are known for their ill tempered personality. I had one in the Philippines for about 8 years. She loved me but pretty much would go after anyone else that came in the yard. She would intimidate the hell out of our cat, aptly named the Hell Bitch because NO dog in the neighborhood would mess with her. But the monkey had her number and would run past and pull her tail. The cat didn't know what to make of it. I wish I had a lot of that on video.
I was diving on Bali and went up in the mountains. There was a troop of them with longer hair I guess because of the cold. The big fat male of the gang came up and I started feeding him some exotic fruit. He would look me right in the eye and put it in his mouth and spit out. Then he lunged for me, which earned him a drop kick of about 8 feet.
Another troop in West Malaysia, where they were extremely abundant, surrounded and were really trying to intimidate my then 7 year old son and his friend in the friend's yard. His mother came out and chased them off with a broom.

You should try having to fight one in a bikini......worst monkey on earth. The Yaki in Sulawesi on the other hand is the bob marley of monkeys.

Yup, If I am near water--especially the clear, warm kind found in places much to the south of the quarries in Indiana--I am diving. I roll out of bed onto a dive boat, in and out of the water 4-5 times, pour myself into bed, repeat until the day before I go home! (Yes, I ALWAYS stay well within no decompression limits by watching my depths and surface intervals!)

I rarely take a vacation less than 2 1/2 weeks anymore...that usually gives me a week of diving, a week of touring and a few days travel time

This is where we are getting to.

I have been to many islands just for diving. But, now I have divided my time between traveling and diving. I am passionate about water activities and will continue it as long as I will be able to perform.

Just back from three weeks in the Philippines. First 11 days of diving (at Club Ocellaris in Anilao) left no time for anything else but eating and sleeping. Four dives a day with a number of the dives lasting over two hours each. Cut back to three dives a day for a week in Sabang Beach (Puerto Galera) which left my nights free but I didn't even edit the footage during that time.

My primary purpose in travel is to dive and film (unless it is to see family) since that's my job.

As others have said, it depends on the destination.

In trips to Egypt, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, Belize and the Yucatan, I've spent just as much time (if not more) exploring on land as I did diving on the trip. For example, in Borneo I spent three days diving Sipadan/Mabul and three days in a rainforest camp. In Indonesia I did a 5-day liveaboard in the middle of a longer trip to several islands. I might very well spend more time diving if it weren't so darn expensive. Asia can be very cheap ... if one is not diving. If I buy an expensive plane ticket to Asia, I want to stay at least two if not three or four weeks, but I can't afford two weeks on a liveaboard or at a resort.

I was about to say that for places like Cozumel and Key Largo I just go to dive, but not quite true. I have taken a couple of trips to the Keys where we spent the first two or three days diving in Key Largo and then headed on to Key West for more general vacationing.

By the way, this sort of lifestyle is how one ends up with less than 250 dives but something like a million air miles since being certified in 1998.

Just back from three weeks in the Philippines. First 11 days of diving (at Club Ocellaris in Anilao) left no time for anything else but eating and sleeping. Four dives a day with a number of the dives lasting over two hours each. Cut back to three dives a day for a week in Sabang Beach (Puerto Galera) which left my nights free but I didn't even edit the footage during that time.

My primary purpose in travel is to dive and film (unless it is to see family) since that's my job.

I know envy is one of the seven deadly sins, I am a sinner.

Back
Top Bottom