When you travel to dive do you do anything else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving for a few years, and one thing I notice is those that are into diving are very enthusiastic to dive. However, I have always appreciated seeing the countries I travel to. I realize the status quo is to stay above water on the last day before flying home. But for me, and the person I travel most with, diving is not the ONLY reason we go to see exotic places. As a result we tend to do about 50/50 diving and above water activities. As a result I am uncertain about a live aboard as that is solely for diving.

How do the majority of you treat your diving? Is it the only reason you go? Do you divide your time more equally? Have you been to enough islands that they now all look alike and you just go to dive?

Interested to hear how this board approaches the hobby.

Yes...

Usually on a de-gas day before a flight, but I try and see thing locally each time. If I am diving for a long stretch at a time, I might break the diving up in half with a non-diving excurtion trip. It also has a lot to do where I am diving at and is there really anything that I might want to see. A lot of the Central Caribbean and Mexican communities remind me of the North Denver areas and I have seen enought of THAT.

But for the most part, when I dive...I like to DIVE :D

On my last trip to Indonesia, besides all the great diving we went to see the Komodo dragons ...

komodo3.jpg

... converse with monkeys ...

H287SureITeachMonkeys.jpg

... and visit the local temples ...

CIMG3717.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, I pretty much travel to dive(like I used to travel to climb).

I fear a caption competition is due:

Bob: So, what's your take on diving head down?
Monkey: Me, don't like any of that monkey business :)

To the op,
A buddy of mine is like you - he likes visting places, taking pictures, taking in the culture etc. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion as it opens the mind. But for me the diving takes precedence.

I travel to travel and enjoy diving when I get there too. So far my only "diving only" trip has been a road trip to FL with my brother. I probably wouldn't do any diving only trips elsewhere because too much of my family (wife and kids) is completely excluded then and I really like their company.

If I did do a "diving only" trip I'd probably still skip out for a day in the middle as well as the last day before flying. The world is amazing and cultures are beautiful. I want to experience as much of both (above and below the water) as I can.

I try to see as much as possible wherever I go for whatever reason.

I was just in San Diego for work last week, managed to visit three different history museums and the zoo while I was there, all on my time off.

I'm off to Egypt in October for some scuba diving in the red sea. The best part of the trip is several days of seeing all the cultural sites as well.

For me, exploring a new area is a must for me. Only reason I'd skip that if there's a site I dive often, but haven't come across one yet that I've been to twice.

I check out the cool sites above and below the water line but have diving as the main function of our trip.

I rarely take a vacation less than 2 1/2 weeks anymore...that usually gives me a week of diving, a week of touring and a few days travel time

3 situations:

1. Dive trip. I have done one- a week in Panama. Purpose was to collect shells. Also did get some nice pics. of the area. Wife didn't go-- no point with me always diving.
2. Snowbird 3 months. Wife & I go to N. Gulf of Mexico. Many activities. I dive about 10 days during the 3 months. Purpose is to collect shells.
3. Driving from house here or campground near NYC in summer. Dive once weekly. Purpose, yes same. Other activities: Get gas & Burger King (uh.. that's USUALLY two separate activities).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom