Where am I going to dive with Mantas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been lucky at Koh Bon in the Similans, Thailand. 6 dives there at 3 different trips and have seen mantas every time. The first time was spectacular. 3 big ones circling around us for 30 minutes. Noone even saw the sharks below us!

I have also been lucky at Manta Scamble in Ishigaki, Okinawa. 4 dives and lucky 3 times.

Good luck! and don't 'bubble' them

Sounds like LOTS of fun!!

Manihi sounds like the place to be... At least 3 mantas per dive... In the Maldives we saw 3 mantas per WEEK and were delighted :D

The pictures are awesome too :thumb:

I can't wait to hear more about your trip!! :)

One of the world's most consistent sites for mantas, in fact nearly guaranteed, is in the Islas de Revillagigedo (Socorro Islands), most particularly "The Boiler," off southern Mexico. This area is served by the liveaboard Solmar V.

What makes this area unique is that the giant Pacific mantas regularly invite close personal contact, including touching. The diver is provided with an initmate opportunity as how they look, feel & act, not to mention photo ops.

In addition, you'll likely see 4-6 different types sharks, dolphin & in season, whales.

Done only mid-Nov to early Jun due to weather.

Happy shopping.

DocVikingo

Yes, I have read about the Islas de Revillagigedo, and it is sounds INCREDIBLE :bounce:
And those mantas are pretty huge, too :eek:
It is definitely on my extensive "short" list of places that I NEED to go to in the near future :D
It is not cheap, though... In fact, nothing is cheap in the area :(
I can't wait to go back to France (where I am from), get my 6 weeks vacation back :wink: , and spend most of them diving the Red Sea at $500 per week!!

I was in Costa Rica last summer and saw mantas twice in one day, and apparently its an everyday occurence. We only went on 3 dives the whole time we were there and on two of the them we saw mantas. We also saw HUGE schools (300+) of cow-nosed and devil rays. it was amazing, all flying in formation like a huge squadron. For rays, stay somewhere in the town of Playa del Coco on the Pacific side. I recommend rich coast diving or bill beard's.

I have seen mantas at Midway, Yap and most recently just this past October at Sangalaki Island (I know I'm remiss in posting a trip report but hopefully I'll find some time now that the holidays is over).

Sangalaki was the best of the 3 for #s of mantas and also for size with the largest probably approaching 5-6 meters wing tip to wing tip. Actually, they have 2 varieties there - the giant Pacific manta (most comman) and also the pygmy manta (which I didn't get to see or at least didn't recognize). I'm estimating the size based on surface sightings and not the "enlarged" underwater view:) We were able to snorkel with multiple mantas (20+ per snorkel) on every day while we were there and frequently saw them while diving also although usually not in those #s. On our 2 best days we did get to have "mantas on parade" while we were diving and had processions of between 20-30 mantas pass above, below and to both sides of us while we were diving. Its times like this that I wish my head would swivel 360 degrees.

I also have to mention the coral. I have never seen such an abundance and variation of pristine hardcorals anywhere (Midway, Hawaii, Guam, Yap, Truk, Palau, Sipadan, Okinawa, or Christmas Island).

The downside to the trip was the visibility which was 8-10m horizontal on the worst days and maybe 20m horizantal on our best days. There is a great abundance of plankton in the waters around Sangalaki which I'm sure has something to do with why the mantas are attracted to there but it does cut down on the visibility but a return trip to Sangalaki is something we plan on making.

Rickg

After recently returning from FP, I have to agree with Finesse! We dove with an amazing amount of mantas in Manihi. Check out my Manihi report for lots of Manta pics. (Should be up 12/31)

here's one for fun

Mantas at Le Cirque

The West Coast of Australia has giant manta migration yearly between end June and early Aug. Exmouth Dive Centre can take care of you...www.exmouthdive.com

I can definitely answer that one now - Similians. One dive we spent an hour 20 m from the boat just enjoying the show....

Pictures coming real soon.....

My contribution:
- Maldives - saw more than 10 mantas on a single dive but visibility was so so
- Similans / Richelieu - had a couple of very good manta dives
- BUT ABOVE ALL KOMODO IN INDONESIA - been there twice and had more than 10 manta dives there... and on top of that macro and coral life are amazing, the scenery above water is incredible and you can get your fair share of other pelagics (there is a resident great hammerhead at one site!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom