Where can I dive with paddlefish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what you consider a 'reasonable distance,' but, Loch Low-Minn quarry, in south Tennessee just stocked up with Paddlefish about a year ago...

We 'ran' into one at about 60 feet, in the middle of the quarry (less than a meter long, but they'll get there).

There's a good Powerpoint on the Loch Low-Minn site, that shows and talks about the Paddlefish "launch": LOCHLOWMINN MAIN PAGE

They have paddle fish and sturgeon at the Tennessee Aquarium - sorry, I know that is not what you asked but thought I would share this anyways. Someone pointed out how the paddle fish feed, by filtering food out of the water. Has anyone ever feed a hungry sturgeon before? We have to wear beanies when we dive at Tn Aq so the fish don't mistake our ears for shrimp and sample them. The Sturgeon's mouth kinda protrudes when they are feeding, if the diver isn't quick with the sturgeon's food they come along and try and suck the beanie off of your head. It's a real interesting experience to be swarmed by them when they are really hungry. thanks for letting me share :D

now back to the originally scheduled post....

Yes, Gilboa has them, and we have seen them...they do exist.

However, they are NOT easy to find. I've been to that quarry a lot and have only seen them once. If you decide to go looking, be prepared to feel "lost" b/c where they hang out, is on the deep side in "mid" water away from all the divers.

Head out over to the far wall on the back side of Gilboa. Hover 10'-20' down and be patient. They'll usually make an appearance. I've never had a problem finding a Paddle Fish or two over there.

Dwight

Mermet Springs has several paddlefish... (around 200 in the quarry). You will usually see them about 25 feet deep at spoonbill point (at the wall) and the cove to the right of it. Sometimes at this time of year you may even see one over by the school bus or the plane since there are less people in the water.

MermetMap_05.jpg

Yeh, Mermet will work. Be prepared for poor vis. (This is what paddelfish like) The owner/operator is somewhat challenging to deal with.

Dale

Yeh, Mermet will work. Be prepared for poor vis. (This is what paddelfish like) The owner/operator is somewhat challenging to deal with.

Dale

(snickers) Never been to Haigh have you? Sometimes I want to smack that woman up there for being stupid.

(snickers) Never been to Haigh have you? Sometimes I want to smack that woman up there for being stupid.

Seems harsh...

We at Martha's tried to have spoonbills, but didn't work out TWRA told me we didn't have enough plankton. I guess that means we starved a bunch of fish.

Dale

I am sorry you had this experience. True that it does have some poor vis at times, but other times it is quite good. I completely disagree with your comments about the owner. Honestly, I was very surprise that you thought this, but let's not debate your feeling on this subject. Let's just leave it to say to many people do not share this opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom