where do the Octopus and Computer go on Halcyon Pioneer BP/WINGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my PADI OW class, we were taught about both methods. The book even made mention of the air2 type backup regulators and that in those cases the donation would come from the divers mouth. There really was no confusion there. We were just taught to be familiar with our buddies equipment before the dive, and to know where the donation was coming from.

I even bought an Air Source for my backup and dove that for 4 years before finally switching it out for a standard octo, and now the long hose \ bungied backup. From my standpoint, there is no violation of the standards I was taught.

I also attained my DM certification and have no desire to use it. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time, until I talked to DM friend of mine who finally called it quits because he was tired of the fact that 75% of his dives were all class dives. I decided that I much prefer diving for pleasure. Although I did find it fun to assist in classes from time to time. Just not every weekend.

Free, unencumbered dialog is what makes a board successful, dynamic, and thriving. May as well go back to Quest if you want all stroke radio.

I just wanted to be sure that Dxt's questions were addressed first.

I know I don't have the teaching gene. My wife does - its her vocation and her avocation. Almost everytime I play someplace (drums) someone will come up and ask about lessons, etc. I don't take students... its just not my thing.

Diving (!) into an industry like Scuba where so many things are fighting against a lot of what I have come to embrace (from the "c'mon every one can dive" marketing machines, to the Sandals Resort billboards with beautiful models smiling from incomplete, albeit very colorful gear) if I may use the royal we for a moment - we've sort of done it to ourselves.

Scuba, like a lot of other things, suffers from the politics of inclusion. You've seen my threads about how I feel about Manatees trying to dive. Mike may have the right aproach - own the course, and write your rules. I think the compromises made at that level will be much smaller (that may not be fair, maybe more acceptable is better) than trying to jam me into a system I can't whole heartedly embrace.

I understand the whole greater good thing - and I'm confident the demand for passionate, committed, skilled instructors greatly exceeds the supply - so maybe we should suck it up and fix it from the inside.

But the truth is this: I'm just not that personality type. I can't fix it from the inside. That means I walked into a broken system. I'm more of a take it down to the foundation and re-build it kinda guy... Thats why I don't teach.

I'll likely be Joe Consumer and continue my education around the parameter of the teaching opportunities - applying the knowledge and skills I learn to my personal diving and improving my safety and the safety levels of the buddy(s) I dive with.

This has been great. I think I'll take a second look at the SSI DiveCon. I was reading it last night - and there is some good stuff in there. I may just take all those specialties without the added burdon of the dive assist stuff... sort of skim off the skills and knowledge I want and leave the class assist to others.

Still noodling on that one.

K

Leadweight, the problem is, i cannot afford to spend $$ On all those retractable, chains and hooks just to try them on ! :(

Dxtreme once bubbled...
Leadweight, the problem is, i cannot afford to spend $$ On all those retractable, chains and hooks just to try them on ! :(
It's plenty easy once you get used to it. All you need is a bolt snap and a way to attach it (cave line, o-ring, ziptie, there are a few). The whole setup shouldn't be more than a few bucks..

Just ordered a retractable for my Computer and the octo "scumball" holder for the octo. All the stuff should be here by next mid week and hoipefully i can get in the pool next weekend to test out the BC and the rest of my new gear.

I also got off the phone with Halcyon soliciting advice on where to put my computer.

The Halcyon guy was helpful but essentially what he told me is to "Go take DIR-F class, sell the big ass oceanic pro plus 2 computer and get a brass SPG".

Well, I am going to try to attach the computer slightly forward at the waist belt (left upper corner of my waist) if that dont help , then another viable position is to cross the hose and put the computer on the lower right shoulder with an extra D-Ring
( #$@$@# means taking out the whole @#$$^# harness again ! ) ;-0

This Halcyon setup be better worth it for all the troubles vs a traditional Back Inflate BC !!!!!!! :upset:

BUt thoroughout all this process actually made me learned more about streamlining and functionality of my own gear. Let alone, it allows me to custom fit my BC in anyway that FITS and SERVES ME BEST !! Another + of BP/Wings IMHO

Well, I am going to try to attach the computer slightly forward at the waist belt (left upper corner of my waist) if that dont help , then another viable position is to cross the hose and put the computer on the lower right shoulder with an extra D-Ring
( #$@$@# means taking out the whole @#$$^# harness again ! )
You might try to run the hose off the other side somehow then...if you run it from the left and cross to the right and clip it off (retractor, whatever...) you are kinda locking yourself in your rig if you need to get the thing off in a hurry, IMHO.

tinman once bubbled...
Could you elaborate on "PADI doesn't care". Do the lawyers care? I suspect the argument would be that it is confusing for students to see an air sharing drill with someone donating from their primary reg while they are expecting to do it from their Octo.
PADI 5-Star Dive Centers also sell the AirSource or AirII, so the student could still have to learn how to donate their primary without violating PADI's support structure's marketing :)

As i am setting up the halcyon BC tonight, clipping it across from left to right is not a viable option.

i will try to attach a d ring on the waist strap or even use the croutch D-ring as an attachment point.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
The Halcyon guy was helpful but essentially what he told me is to "Go take DIR-F class, sell the big ass oceanic pro plus 2 computer and get a brass SPG".
This Halcyon setup be better worth it for all the troubles vs a traditional Back Inflate BC !!!!!!! :upset:

I dont mean to preach DIR but everything flows together very smootly using their equipment cofiguration as outlined at http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

I used to be in the same postion as you at one time.I finally gave in and sold my console and adopted the DIR equipment configuration and must admit its a great set up.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
J
I also got off the phone with Halcyon soliciting advice on where to put my computer.

BUt thoroughout all this process actually made me learned more about streamlining and functionality of my own gear. Let alone, it allows me to custom fit my BC in anyway that FITS and SERVES ME BEST !! Another + of BP/Wings IMHO

Welcome to the world of DIR. Its their way or the highway. You are so far down the path now that you might as well stop fighting and be assimilated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom