Where do you dive during the winter months?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
Dive season begins January 1.

It ends December 31.

This is my view as well. While I do not perfer cold over warm water, cold water can be dealt with effectively.

A good drysuit will solve most of the problems of colder water. It will not solve the problem of total numbness around the outside of your face, but you can get used to that. By exhaling into your mask through your nose, you can warm up your eyes and nose areas. A good drysuit also keeps you warm and dry between dives during inclimate weather.

The winter in either hemisphere simply means the sea state (or lake state) cannot be assumed. By referring to the NOAA weather sites and sea conditions, you can get a pretty good idea of whether an upcoming dive day will be nice or nasty.

Winter diving is simply more advanced diving. With learning curve, it too can become a walk in the park for any diver.

I would dive year around if I could but all of the water here ices over and I don't think I want to get into ice diving. Summer diving here is May-October if you are lucky. After that, it's time to head down south for a week or 2.

I'm one of those warm water types. I live in on the Gulf coast of FL, but typically do not dive in the Gulf in January or February. Anything under mid-60s with a full wet suit is too cold for me.

When it's too cold in the Gulf, I usually go over to the East coast. The gulf stream runs very close to shore on that side and it's usually at least 10 degrees warmer over there in January and February.

I make a trip or 2 to FL or the carribean in the Dec thru Feb months, but also continue to dive the local lakes and quarries. As has been said, water temp is irrelevant with proper exposure protection. While I was in N FL diving this past Dec, we would go out to restaurants for breakfast and supper and the locals would be wearing heavy winter coats! They must develop thin blood, as we were wearing light jackets and feeling good.

theskull

december to feburary i usually do spring diving only; march through september,
i do off-shore jax diving as well as spring diving. i try to take a trip or two to south
florida every year as well.

oh i love diving in florida =P

I agree with Green Manelishi...Dive season starts Jan 1 and ends Dec 31! I dive the East Coast of Southern Fla each winter. Usually do 1 Carribean trip each winter as well. Winter can be the best diving. The boats aren't usually as full.

DAve

simbrooks:
I too find the FL attitude strange, both to diving and some other things! I like doing outdoorsy things, and watersports activities, however i find my season is the exact opposite of what it should be. I start my season in september/october and end it in may, between may and sept/oct its too hot to do anything outside, that includes and in particular SI's, underwater i can understand it being nice.

Springs temps and current temps around FL are fine in a 3 or 5mm wetsuit (3 for springs and east coast, 5 for recent west coast <60F). My question to the other FL divers is, how do you cope in the summer???? I have tried sailing and kayaking in the summer here, this year will be my first diving, but i dread that time when i need neoprene u/w, but even in shorts i will be dying in the summer heat.

On the boats, you dive with no suit or just a skin. In the springs, you run like hell to the tables and get your BC and wetsuit off before you pass out! :wink: You can also take a moment to cycle some fresh (ie cold) water into your wetsuit to buy some time.

When I lived in Gainesville, my cousins and I went out mountain biking one summer afternoon, we only lasted for about an hour because we were just feeling hot and drinking (and sweating!) didn't seem to help much. Found out the next morning that it had been 103F and 85% humidity! :eek: How do you stay cool in that? You stay in the AC! :D

Anywhere I can . Hell I love the cold. Lake Travis here in Austin was 50 degrees this past weekend and I camped out and dove all weekend even went on my first boat dive . All in a 6.5 mil shorty . WOOHOO . I had a blast.

Damon

I would probably dive year-round here in VA but I do not have a drysuit or the training. I might consider getting a drysuit and training in the future, but that will come after I have the money to get cable again! Thank God I have all my equipment or I wouldn't be able to afford to dive at all. Not everyone has a grand (or more) to shell out for a decent used drysuit and the most basic of training.

But the rest of us dive year round. Yes, it is often said your blood thins out down here. I grew up up north and cannot imagine how ya'll handle the winters. But I suspose ya'll will be the first to ask how I handle the summers. LOL.
I do 99% beach diving. The biggest challenge I have IN THE SUMMER is not burning my feet on the sand! I used to wear full foot fins, but after twice blistering the bottom of my feet on some recycled plastic wood walkways, I opted for the booties. And yes the water gets warm, you don't cool off in the water, yet I still wear skins for protection.
I finally bought a 3mm farmer jane and hood this year because I got so cold diving Nov-present...I can't wait for the warmer weather, less bulk (in the way of wetsuits) and for the toursits to leave so I can get a parking space closer to the water!
I suspose if I lived up north, however, I would learn to dive dry.

Back
Top Bottom