Where do you live and dive? What kind of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you live: Central Ohio. and dive? Ohio, Caribbean
Is it close to your house? Favorite Quarry is Gilboa, 2 hours away.
Anything special required to dive there? Depends on depth (thermoclines) and time of year. Ranges from 3MM wetsuit to drysuit. Temps right now are high 60's to low 70's above 15'-20', mid to upper 40's where the springs flow into the quarry.
What kind of diving is it? Recreational/Technical. Max depth at Gilboa is 130', however due to water temps (reg freeze-ups), equipment redundancy is prudent (doubles with two sets of regs, or bailout bottle).

What part of Central Ohio? I'm in Westerville, I think pretty close to Columbus SCUBA.

I live in Northern California.
Monterey is a 3 hour drive south.
The Channel Islands are a 7 hour drive south and a boat trip - great boats!
I like Socal shore diving around Malibu up to Pt. Conception, all though not as much life as my neck of the woods.

Then there is my backyard. I can be to good diving in an hour. If I just want to get wet and make money hull diving then Bodega Bay - 45 minutes.
Mendocino County is 2 hours away but is world class diving.
There's good hunting up here for giant red abalone (freediving only)
and good spearfishing for rockfish and decent size lingcod.
We have a few Giant Pacific Octopuss but not as many as Puget sound.
We have wolf eels and Puget Sound king crabs. No Garibaldi's or lobsters.
We don't have giant kelp, just bull kelp, feather boa, and palm kelp.
The water ranges from 44 to 53 degrees and is coldest usually in spring when the winds kick up which causes cold water upwellings.
Diving is year around but sometimes conditions can be rough and vis low. Vis ranges from 5 to 20 feet, but I have seen 80 to 90 foot vis once up in Mendocino. 30 to 40 foot vis is not uncommon in Mendocino County.
Mendocino County is really Pt. Lobos on steroids. Not many people know that, and I kind of like it that way.

I dive wet and am a very serious diver. I work underwater in a wetsuit sometimes up to 6 hours a day. I have many wetsuits and love every one of them. I have a few super thick custom made wetsuits.
I do not care for drysuits because they don't suit my style, but to each their own.
I dislike people who bash wetsuits.

Eric, I wish we'd connected with you on our trip, because the diving we tried to do in Mendocino was sadly disappointing!

Where do you live and dive? Live in landlocked Calgary, most of my diving is the on Vancouver Island - Campbell River for 3 trips, Barclay Sound for a trip and many shore dives, Cozumel is also a regular trip for me.
Is it close to your house? alas, nowhere near my house. Just got home today from an 18 dive trip, about 18 hours of car time, ferry time and restaurants. I am able to leave a lot of my gear at my dive buddy's house.
Anything special required to dive there? As TS&M said, lots of exposure protection and lots of lead
What kind of diving is it? Amazing walls and pinnacles on Vancouver Island, drifting slowly in Cozumel.

I love diving the west coast of Canada.

I just opened a dive operation on Kauai. I would love to get some Seattle people involved in the diving out here. Northwest divers rock. Its always great to have them out on a charter because they seem to be into diving for the right reasons. On those days when the visibility is down some people complain because they only want that 100ft plus vis but not the Northwest divers. They come up stoked for the dive that it was. Always great to have you guys along. Look me up if you make it out to his beautiful little island and I'll introduce you to some beautiful sites.

There is a non-stop from Seattle that gets you here before noon local time and If you get an Alaska Airlines credit card you can get a companion ticket for $99. Split the cost and that airfare for 1/2 price.
Aloha,

Travis

Where do you live and dive?
Is it close to your house?
Anything special required to dive there?
What kind of diving is it?

I'm stuck on Hawaii diving and longing to be there, but I have heard here are other very good dive spots around the mainland U.S.

I live in Victoria BC. I dive wherever I am.
There are dive sites within a 15 minute drive from here or less. Within a half hour from here is numerous dive sites (about 20 shore dive sites).
A dry suit is a good idea as the water is always between 45-55F.

Been to Hawaii. Meh. Here has more life.

Where do you live
Trondheim, central Norway

and dive?
Is it close to your house?
The closest dive site is some 15 minutes by car from my house, in the Trondheim fjord. There's plenty of sites in the fjord within an hour's drive from my house, close enough for an afternoon outing. The viz isn't too fantastic in the fjord water, though, due to plenty of planktonic algae in the surface layer from March to October, so I prefer diving at the coast. That's at least a two and a half hour's drive from where I live.

The Norwegian coast from mid-Western Norway to Northern Norway has really nice diving, with clear water and plenty of bottom life. And the kelp forests are beautiful. Highly recommended if you aren't scared by cold water.

Anything special required to dive there?
Drysuit recommended all year around and (IMO) mandatory in the fall, winter and spring even though I know a guy who uses a 7+7 mil wetsuit.

Where do you live and dive? West central MN, and I don't dive anywhere yet as I'm finishing OW this weekend. But I know there are several nice quarries, mines and lakes around, not to mention Lake Superior
Is it close to your house? I think the closest popular dive site is a few hour drive away (although if you aren't too picky, there's typically a lake within minutes of anywhere). But to live in small town MN is to get used to driving 2-3 hours to go anywhere good, so it's fine.
Anything special required to dive there? Not that I'm aware of, other than a good thick wetsuit and/or drysuit and a reg that can handle cold water
What kind of diving is it? In MN? Lake, river, quarry, mine, low viz, deep, boat and shore. Nearly any type of freshwater dive you can do, I think.

What part of Central Ohio? I'm in Westerville, I think pretty close to Columbus SCUBA.

Blacklick. I dive with Columbus Scuba.

Central Florida.
2-3 hours from all the cave diving I could want, and 2-3 hours from all the shore, reef and boat diving I could want, with everything mixed in between.
Best of both worlds for me :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom