Where do you teach valve shutdowns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did valve shutdowns, during SDI rec solo, with backmount manifold doubles & independent backmount twins. If you have the configuration in rec &/or that's, what you choose for redundancy, it's taught. It isn't the minimum requirement, it's like the max & you "do" have that option, you just have to choose it & it has to be one of your diving configurations. This is something SSI & PADI are likely not going to teach you 'till tech. Your SSI & PADI instr. would have to take time & take you out to the actual open water. It's a method, that you have to choose, before tech. Another reason is, not all SSI & PADI instructors are tech instructors, they can't teach it.

Not every Intro to tech. will teach you shutdowns because Intro to Tech/foundations for some only requires your basic BCD system & a pony-19 bottle. Manifold doubles are not necessarily included. They might teach you the minimum & make you just carry/sidemount a pony. Also, if the inst. doesn't dive doubles ir isn't certified, he'll teach you the tech sidemount side. Anyway, it was one of my solo configs from the book & that's, what I was taught, as well, as all others. So, I actually did mine before tech & SSI's foundations course because the SSI instr. didn't teach or want to teach manifold doubles in foundations.

I didn't wait till Foundations, Intro, Tech 1-2, ADV Wreck, Cavern or Cave because it was one of my configurations beginning, with Deep Diving & AOW. You have to go get it yourself first, during rec & literally pick it from the book because it's in the book. Your instr. has to teach it to you, if you choose it & have the eq. The drills & knowledge is attached, by the instructor & supplemented.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom