Where in Carrib to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of going to the Carribean this spring, probably mid March or early May, but somewhere in that time. I am a relativly new diver (~25 dives), but perfectly comfortable with it. Trip is 1/2 dive, 1/2 5yr anniversary. My wife doesnt dive, so there has to at least be a nice beach around. I plan to use flyer miles, so most major destinations should be options.

Bonaire has long been on my list to dive (although I hear there is not much else to do). Turks is up there too... I hear the diving is great, as is the beach. My sister loves BVI - like St. John.

I mostly want to see nice coral and critters. Not after deep dives, wreck dives, etc.

I have been to a few places in the Carribean and vicinity... Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Cancun, Belize. Loved it all, but I want to do something new this time.

Since I am getting free flights, I can splurge a little on a more spendy place to visit if it is nice enough. We would probably go for a week.

Thanks a lot!
Jeremy

How about Curacao. Diving is very similar to Bonaire but with much nicer beachs. There are plenty of shops and attractions to see. Lots of good restaurants and places to stay. If you have AA miles, they fly there directly from Miami.

Welcome to the board/

Thanks Herman. Nice thing is my miles are generic (credit card) so I can pretty much take any flight.

Right now it is looking like a week in the ABCs, with a few days on each. Do you know how easy it is to get between the islands. I figure as long as we take all the effort to get there we should check them all out. Maybe even pop over to SA for a spell (ok, might take more than a week).

When is the best time to go? Does viz/surf get better/worst between Mar/May?

--Jeremy

The later into the year...May thru June is just wonderful.

It's fairly easy to hop between the ABC's. Divi Divi and Bonaire Express fly between the islands on a fairly regular basis. Seems like the rate is around $100 round trip. There is not a lot of difference in the weather or vis during the year. Early winter is the "rainy" season and then it only rains a little. I can't tell you much about Aruba as I have never been there. I like Curacao and if I have others with me who do not dive I would most likely head there instead of Bonaire. Either place is nice.

My husband and I are both divers; however, since I'm pregnant, I will not be diving this year. After looking at all the Caribbean islands, we decided on Curacao. It's a fairly safe place and I've been told the beaches are better on Curacao than Bonaire. We will be there the end of April/beginning of May. I've also been told that there is plenty of good snorkeling, if your wife likes to do that. We decided to stay at the Marriott, even though my husband will probably drive up to Sunset Waters to dive with their dive shop.

Please give us a trip report when you return!

Tina

We decided to stay at the Marriott, even though my husband will probably drive up to Sunset Waters to dive with their dive shop

I would'nt have done it any other way...the Marriott is very nice and the 25 minute drive to Sunset Divers was well worth it.

I dove Dominica over the winter break...don't know about conditions later in the year, but I thought it was outstanding!

L'Abym Wall and Point Guignard were my two dives there. Wow! I dove with "DiveDominica" charter. They were very friendly and competent. I felt well taken care of, as the air hog of the group.

I also got to dive the Rhone out of Tortola. My first "wreck" dive. Wow! (Do I use that word too much?) I was blown away by the life around the wreck, and how cool it was to see a wreck from 1867. I'm not a history buff, but I still thought it was great.

My $.02

I second the BVI. The Rhone is pretty shallow and very beautiful, covered in coral, teeming with beautiful fish. BVI can be pricy, but well worth it.
Aloha, catherine

I've been to Aruba twice, and Curacao once. My father was actually born and raised on Curacao, my uncle born on Aruba. We are going back to Aruba for ten days this summer. That should tell you my opinion. :) I did like Curacao, they've got some great wall dives there. But Aruba has shipwrecks, and that's my first love. Have not been to Bon Aire, but I'm not too hot on shore diving anyway.

I will not go back to Mexico anytime soon. I spent time in both Cancun and Cozumel, and just didn't like the places much at all, very cheap, but very cheap, if you know what I mean. Cayman was very nice, but also very expensive. I've also been to Roatan, and rate it with Mexico, but with excellent diving. Not a place to go if you value surface time at all.

So I guess the bottom line for me is any of the ABCs would be a good place to go. I've heard nice things about Belize, and any of the USVI, as well, but that's only rumor for me.

Good diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom