Where is the Best Diving in Mexico-Looking at Ratings in Scuba Diving Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sullivan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just returned from an outstanding trip to Bonaire and had such a good time I'm planning our next dive trip. We've done most of our diving on Grand Cayman, Provo and Bonaire so we're relatively inexperienced with respect to locations. That said, the new issue of Scuba Diving magazine was waiting for us when we returned and the issue is the Reader's Choice Awards issue listing top dive locations in various catagories/locations. "Mexico" made the top 5 in many different categories in the Caribbean & Atlantic geography so my question is as follows:

For those people experienced in diving Mexico, where specifically would you say is the best place for a dive vacation? The magazine does not offer specifics as to where the best diving is located. If it helps with the recommendation, the ratings I'm looking at in Scuba Diving Magazine list the following for Mexico in the "Caribbean & Atlantic" geography:

Best Overall Destination: Mexico #1
Best Value of Diving: Mexico #1
Best Underwater Photography: Mexico #1
Best Wall Diving: Mexico #4
Best Overall Diving: Mexico #1

Cozumel is likely these two - Best Overall is the Socorros but you have to get on a liveaboard for that:

Best Value of Diving: Mexico #1
Best Wall Diving: Mexico #4

Cozumel is probably the most visited spot in Mexico for diving. But there is excellent diving in the Gulf of California as well. Diving off the Yucatan mainland can be nice, and there are cenotes there, which are unique. Diving off the Pacific Coast can be challenging, and the water is colder. Viz is a little more chancy.

I have only been to Cozumel, but the Socorro Islands, Sea of Cortez, Isla Mujeres, and the cenotes would all interest me more than revisiting Cozumel, in roughly that order. Cozumel's not bad either.

I, for one, would not place any credibility on a list in a scuba diving magazine, and feel that such is just marketing nonsense. Try diving in the Western Pacific, e.g., Fiji, Philippines, Indonesia, Solomons. One trip, and you'll forget all about the Caribbean and any urge to dive there. This, at least, has been my own experience. Cave diving in the Yucatan is a different matter.

The best means most interesting diving to me, so in Mexico in no particular order here is some of it and the reason to go there --

The best diving
Sea of Cortez - especially from a liveaboard - massive marine eco system
Socorros - from a liveaboard - 'the Glapagos of Mexico'
Guadalupe Island - from a liveaboard - this is the great white shark diving capital of north America
Cozumel - most popular dive destination in Mexico - relatively inexpensive and easy to get to
Main Land Yucatan - Cenotes, unique limestone caves and cavern diving
Banco Chinchorro - a 20 mile ride off the coast to a prestine atoll, not easy to do, tons of old wrecks, spanish gallions etc...
Cabo - diving with giant humbolt squid - wear body armour

Best snorkeling -
Isla Mujeres - being in the water with hundreds of whale sharks
Isla Mujeres - being in the water with sail fish

I'm probably leaving something out, but those what and where I would call the best of Mexico, but with the exception of Cenotes and Cozumel, non of those would fit into 'cheap' because lets face it, the best doesn't come cheap

Last edited:
There are wonderful places to dive South of PDC, toward Belize. PM me for details. Debbie doesn't like me talking about her favorite and semi-secret places on an open forum, because one of the best features each has is that they are not crowded.
DivemasterDennis

Agree with Kilili that Asia has some of the best diving period for biodiversity. As far as Mexico, I used to work as the marine biologist and underwater videographer on a small eco-cruise liner (Lindblad Expeditions/National Geographic) based out of La Paz. I truly enjoyed diving the offshore islands in that area but keep in mind that it offers neither kelp forest nor real coral reef diving... it is an interesting intermediate type ecosystem IMHO. Los Islotes is a kick for the sea lion rookery there. Socorros would be fantastic although I've never been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom