Where is the Best Diving in Mexico-Looking at Ratings in Scuba Diving Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, for one, would not place any credibility on a list in a scuba diving magazine, and feel that such is just marketing nonsense. Try diving in the Western Pacific, e.g., Fiji, Philippines, Indonesia, Solomons. One trip, and you'll forget all about the Caribbean and any urge to dive there. This, at least, has been my own experience. Cave diving in the Yucatan is a different matter.

I agree that from what I have read and videos I have seen, that the Western Pacific has the best diving. However, cost and time to get there from Boston make those locations less desirable right now. Scuba magazine separately rated various dive categories for the Pacific and some of your suggestions made their list.

As far as being skeptical of the ratins in Scuba Magazine, bear in mind that, per the magazine, these ratings are based on a large survey of Scuba Magazine readers. The ratings appear NOT to be the result of some random editor's opinion.

Interesting comments from others; thanks for those. I did some research on the Socorro Islands and some of the liveaboards seem to offer some amazing trips. This may be one of our big trips in 2013 or 2014.

I, for one, would not place any credibility on a list in a scuba diving magazine, and feel that such is just marketing nonsense. Try diving in the Western Pacific, e.g., Fiji, Philippines, Indonesia, Solomons. One trip, and you'll forget all about the Caribbean and any urge to dive there. This, at least, has been my own experience. Cave diving in the Yucatan is a different matter.

I guess you weren't in Tobago. On e of the best places i have ever seen. Not easy though. In general Asia is far better, especially off the beaten track

---------- Post added January 10th, 2013 at 11:55 AM ----------

I guess you weren't in Tobago. On e of the best places i have ever seen. Not easy though. In general Asia is far better, especially off the beaten track

Yes, it's considered a long trip out to them. I found them less than exciting, others have reported them as a good dive.

Yes, it's considered a long trip out to them. I found them less than exciting, others have reported them as a good dive.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to go to Socorro, the water and air in Loreto seem to be pretty cold still in March and I am stuck with an Alaska Airlines bonus travel certificate that force me to book a flight to an AA's destination. Well unless I decide to waste a $300 BTC...The most fair report that I have read was on Tripadvisor where a diver commented that for him the geology of the islands was more interesting than the fish but there were still critters to see. Well he is a guy who seems to be diving all over, probably in places like Indonesia, Papa New Guinea etc... Once you are used to that kind of diving going back to The Caribbean or the Pacific Mexican Coast must feel like a terrible disappointment.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to go to Socorro, the water and air in Loreto seem to be pretty cold still in March and I am stuck with an Alaska Airlines bonus travel certificate that force me to book a flight to an AA's destination. Well unless I decide to waste a $300 BTC...The most fair report that I have read was on Tripadvisor where a diver commented that for him the geology of the islands was more interesting than the fish but there were still critters to see. Well he is a guy who seems to be diving all over, probably in places like Indonesia, Papa New Guinea etc... Once you are used to that kind of diving going back to The Caribbean or the Pacific Mexican Coast must feel like a terrible disappointment.
I am a pretty well-traveled diver, including many Indonesian destinations as well as Papua New Guinea. My last North American stint reacquainted me with Caribbean diving. I definitely had to adjust my expectations, but I was never terribly disappointed. The top Caribbean destinations can be quite rewarding. The mediocre and poor ones might make you opt to go sailing instead (I have). My personal rule now is to only dive at bona fide dive destinations. It's a subjective determination, obviously, but for me, it excludes Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Martinique, and quite a few I haven't been to.

I am a pretty well-traveled diver, including many Indonesian destinations as well as Papua New Guinea. My last North American stint reacquainted me with Caribbean diving. I definitely had to adjust my expectations, but I was never terribly disappointed. The top Caribbean destinations can be quite rewarding. The mediocre and poor ones might make you opt to go sailing instead (I have). My personal rule now is to only dive at bona fide dive destinations. It's a subjective determination, obviously, but for me, it excludes Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Martinique, and quite a few I haven't been to.

It sounds like that your diving budget is 'stronger' than mine. Ultimately that's the bottom line not matter how many fish you wish to see during a dive...Bon Voyage!

Overstatement, in my opinion. I have thousands if dives in Asia pacific, including western pacific, and while it is the best diving anywhere, I certainly still appreciate the incredible viz and massive coral formations of Coz.

Sorry. The preceding was a response to Kilili.

I would rather take advice on best diving from members of this forum than any dive magazine. Readers Choice can also be translated as Most Dived. I can think of a number of Caribbean destinations much better than Mexico. That being said there are some good off the beaten track areas of Mexico, but Readers Choice awards probably refer more to Cozumel. It is a cheap destination to get too, and many divers who rave about it have not actually dived anywhere else in the Caribbean. Don't get me wrong, not dishing it, just saying do a bit more research into Caribbean dive destinations.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Back
Top Bottom