Where is WreckWriter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohhh boy...
for as long as I have been posting on this board, there seems to be a very "us vs. them" attitude between moderators and members. I think everyone could use a good dose of check your egos at the door. Also, Ive said before that there doens't seem to be much consistency in what threads get pulled - netdoc tried to explain it but there are plenty of threads I remember being pulled that I dont think fit any TOS criteria.
On that note...I heard jepuskar was suspended...anyone know what happened?

carebear once bubbled...
ohhh boy...
for as long as I have been posting on this board, there seems to be a very "us vs. them" attitude between moderators and members. I think everyone could use a good dose of check your egos at the door. Also, Ive said before that there doens't seem to be much consistency in what threads get pulled - netdoc tried to explain it but there are plenty of threads I remember being pulled that I dont think fit any TOS criteria.
On that note...I heard jepuskar was suspended...anyone know what happened?

I've been here a lot longer than you and I've never felt that way. Everything I've seen pulled or edited has, IMO, been justified.

I think the mods do a fantastic job with this board, and I've never felt at odds with them.

However, I've noticed that a few people known for trolling or just being a**es have apparently felt a "me vs the regulators" attitude.. and I suppose it was the case. They'd routinely misbehave, and the mods would routinely edit or remove their posts, and they'd make noise about it. Woo.

Correct - Jason (jepuskar) was suspended for a 5 day period. It was not a decision taken lightly by the moderators, and much discussion went into it whether it was an appropriate course of action before it occured. He has the choice at the end of the suspension period to rejoin ScubaBoard.

Several members have also been banned outright in the past few days for outright TOS violations.

The moderators are only human - it's impossible to be consistent in the moderation of this board. Not all threads receive the same amount of attention from users, so occasionally stuff slips through. Some posts are brough to moderators' attention by users who report them, and so receive attention. Many posts are seen in the normal course of reading ScubaBoard ourselves - we are all divers after all, and we all used to be regular members.

This online community is one of the best I've ever seen on the web, and I've been surfing forums since 1995. Believe me, without moderators, this place would degenerate into the average quality you could expect to find in someone's Hotmail account's Junk Email folder.

The moderators are not above moderation - if you feel that someone has acted inappropriately, PLEASE feel free to contact another moderator to discuss or report. If you feel another board user has acted inappropriately, PLEASE feel free to use the "Report this port to a moderator" link. If another user is bugging you, PLEASE feel free to add them to your ignore list. The whole idea is to make your ScubaBoard experience as productive, informative, and stress-free as possible.

regards.

I agree that mods have a tough job most of the time but similarly it feels like sometimes that certain members are singled out like the "bad kid" in the classroom.
Personally, I have never had a problem with mods but some people seem to get the short end of the deal at times.
Egos are not exclusive to anyone...if your post gets moderated, dont whine about it, just start a new one!
Now that I've offended everyone, feel free to delete my thread. :wink:

Why would we delete your thread??? That would make no sense! There are those that go out of their way to "push" the envelope and some downright shove it! Since many of the eggregious posts have been removed it might appear that we are making much ado about nothing, but that's only because you missed the really juicy stuff. We really try NOT to moderate. I would much rather PM a person about their post(s) and let them adjust it accordingly, and many of you have recieved such an E-Mail from me or another mod. But if it gets out of hand, then we will step in and deal with it. That's why we get paid the big bucks.

To be clear... we appreciate constructive and even not so constructive critcism. None of us has the illusion of being perfect in all we say and do. You can dis us all you like, but we will draw the line at abuse. Your post is FAR, FAR from abuse... it's your honest opinion, and that's OK.

:tease: However; all you guys who think that you know it all, are upsetting those of us who really do!!! :tease:

carebear once bubbled...
...Now that I've offended everyone, feel free to delete my thread. :wink:

It's comments like this that perpetuate the feeling that the Mods are heavy handed. Why would any of us delete your thread? (BTW, threads are never deleted, they are moved to the archives so there's a permanent record of everyones comments.) If you feel that you've offended anyone and it should be removed, then why did you write it to start with?

Yes, there are some members who are watched closer than others but that's because they are the very ones who push the envelope of what's allowed, antogonize the other members, and generally cause discord among the members.

Yes, everyone does have an ego. If you think any of the Mods have said or done anything in error, please report them. The best way is by sending a PM to any of the other Mods, or using the "Report this post to a moderator" message on every single post.

Scubaroo once bubbled...

This online community is one of the best I've ever seen on the web, and I've been surfing forums since 1995. Believe me, without moderators, this place would degenerate into the average quality you could expect to find in someone's Hotmail account's Junk Email folder.

regards.

This is so true, thanks to the mods we can have a decent conversation... Try that on some other spots on the internet and it is usually degenerated to repulsive or childish behaviors.

Thanks to the mods, Scubaboard IS one of the best!! Keep up the awesome job!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom