Where on the Cape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgil

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to South Africa next February, staying in Cape Town then travelling the Garden Route as far as Port Elizabeth. I know about the cage dives with Great Whites which I'll probably go for, but is there any other good non cage diving along that stretch of coast?

I'm travelling with non divers which means I'll have limited opportunities to dive so I need to get it right.

Anyone got any tips?

Diving off thje Cape is stunning as long as the cold water does not put you off. The Cape offers close to 100 sites which are more or less regularily dived plus a lot to explore. Everything from shallow and easy wrecks and reefs between 5 and 20 m to quite challenging deep sites between 30m and 42m.
Highlights off the Cape are definitely the five Smitswinkel Bay Wrecks, The S.A.S. Fleur, the S.A.S. PMB, Partridge Point, Pie Rock, Ramblers, Photographers, Pyramid and Batsata in False Bay.
On the Atlantic side try to get to the North and South Paw, Strawberry Rock, The Steps, Di's Cracks, The Yacht and the S.S. Maori.

Don't like the African Scuba link. Creates the impression there's nothing but Sodwana and shark cage diving.

I agree with the recommendation of ProDive in P.E. Try to do Evans Peak or some sites on the Riy Banks. Bell Buoy is an easy, shallowish close inshore one with lots of Raggies and Stingrays. The wild side is spectacular but probably undiveable in Feb. due to being the wild side.
Mossel Bay is crap according to my experience. Dived Mitch Reef, a pile of rock covered in 357 tons of redbait. DM catching small dark shyshark was poor excuse for charging us money for this dive.
Knysna has brilliant diving offshore but lazy operators leaving you with shore entries on the Paquita (only at slack high) and the tapas jetty (broken bottles and the odd timex watch. A seahorse if you're really lucky.
Plet is supposed to have lekker sites although I did not manage to see them due to crap viz. (Only dived there once)
Tried to do the scuba trail at Storms River Mouth but the op f...ed us around and they did not have tanks for us when we arrived.
Hope you ejyoy diving here in Cape Town and down the coast and see you in the water.

Juergen

Rather go with www.piscesdivers.co.za or one of the other shops in Cape Town. Alphadive is located in Somerset West which is an advantage if you stay there and plan to dive the eastern side of False Bay, Hermanus or the H.M.S. Birkenhead.

Bare nonsense to use them if you stay in C.T. as you will finally end up on Pisces' boat for diving the Peninsula's sites.

Lecap:
Rather go with www.piscesdivers.co.za or one of the other shops in Cape Town. Alphadive is located in Somerset West which is an advantage if you stay there and plan to dive the eastern side of False Bay, Hermanus or the H.M.S. Birkenhead.

Bare nonsense to use them if you stay in C.T. as you will finally end up on Pisces' boat for diving the Peninsula's sites.

Agree with your comments about Alphadive, but don't give the impression that Pisces is the only dive operator. Yes they are probably the best, but there are quite a few others, including Dive Action, Orca and others.

Virgil:
Going to South Africa next February, staying in Cape Town then travelling the Garden Route as far as Port Elizabeth. I know about the cage dives with Great Whites which I'll probably go for, but is there any other good non cage diving along that stretch of coast?

I'm travelling with non divers which means I'll have limited opportunities to dive so I need to get it right.

Anyone got any tips?
Hi Virgil,
I'd think twice about that cage businness since February is not shark season and you might end up wasting your time and money(no re-fund policy,they just give you a voucher with no expiry date in case you happen to be around there again).Be aware that around the Cape the sea is often, if not always pretty rough,I missed kelp diving because of that:-( For the rest I can't help you as I jumped straight to dive Aliwal shoal and then Sodwana. Take care.

Beppe:
Hi Virgil,
I'd think twice about that cage businness since February is not shark season and you might end up wasting your time and money(no re-fund policy,they just give you a voucher with no expiry date in case you happen to be around there again).

Good point - Shark high season is around August to October, and considering the price I'd forget about doing it in Feb.

Beppe:
Be aware that around the Cape the sea is often, if not always pretty rough,I missed kelp diving because of that:-(

Not so. It is very rare that there is nowhere to dive in the Cape because the seas are too rough to dive, especially in Cape Town. We probably lose about 15 to 20 days a year when it is completely undivable. Further west towards the garden route the seas do get a bit more tricky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom