Where on the Cape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Gansbaai the best time of the year is in our winter season (April – September), when the sharks are particularly active in their feeding patterns (80-99%).

Even though you still have a chance of seeing the sharks during the other months (October - February), their feeding patterns are different and they tend to have inconsistent feeding behavior by feeding actively the one day and less active on other day’s.

However, due to breeding season amongst the seals on Dyer Island during the months November to January natural feeding predations are often seen in the area.

Sighting rate in the low season is approx. 60%.

Thanks for all the tips. Take the point about the shark cage diving. I'm not sure what my feelings on that are anyway. It would be fantastic to see Great Whites but I am a little concerned following some of the reports I've seen relating to the conservation issues.

One additional question if I may. It turns out that we will now be staying in a place called Gordon's Bay which I understand is on the other side of False Bay from Cape Town.

Does that raise any notable issues with those of you in the know about the area? Should I still hook up with a Cape Town operation or something more local to where I'm staying? If so will that mean any of the dive sites mentioned will be out of reach?

Thanks again for the help

Virgil, cage diving is done off Gansbaai, nowhere close to Cape Town itself. It is about 2 hours drive from Cape Town.

Let me know should you need more information, we can arrange cage diving and accommodation for you if you like.

Virgil, staying in Gordons Bay takes you quite far away from the Cape's dive sites. Alpha will be on your doorstep as well as the sites on the eastern side of False Bay but the majority of sites and operators are located in town and dive the Cape peninsula itself.
According to what I have seen and dived the Cape's sites are superior to the ones on the eastern side of False Bay esp. looking at wrecks. (Exceptions like the H.M.S. Birkenhead confirm the rule).
Sbloomer is right about other operators in town but you will have to research their websites. I recommended Pisces because I dive with them since two years.
Other dive shops (with own boat, essential IMO) are Dive Action, Scuba Shack, Marine Charters (trips only) and a few more.

I am going to be in Gordons Bay for the first week of Jan, hoping for good conditions on the Birckenhead, it is still my all time favourite dive. The feeling you get diving that wreck is like no other. Just thinking about what those soldiers did gives me goose bumps.

Of course the possibility of seeing a White Shark is a big bonus :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom