Where To Dive For Free, Getting The Best Out Of Your Investment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Hickory Scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
One of the things that tends to plague new divers is the investment they put into diving. They spend around $300 to $700 dollars to get certified, then spend $1000 to $2000 on gear, and if they are lucky, they go diving 4 or 5 times a year while on vacation. Then they sit back and look at their gear collecting dust in the closet and get frustrated for not being able to use it, so they decide to sell it and quit diving. I believe one of the biggest reasons this occurs, is because new divers and even experienced divers neglect their local environments, and they miss out on a lot of great diving (most of the time FREE diving) because of lack of knowledge of their local waters. We decided to shoot this video just to show you all the great dive sites here in our area that are open to the public. Taking the time to research your local bodies of water may reveal to you that you could be logging some amazing dives and maybe even doing some Historical Dives (I call it Under Water Time Traveling) at the same time.

Local shore diving here is, IMO, so so, but it's free and keeps you in good diving shape (mentally especially) for when you do spend the $ on trips/charters. I couldn't see myself jumping off a boat into deep water 4-5 time a year only--wouldn't feel confident at all.

The place where I most frequently dive is a lake called Lac Lavon. The viz is better than most freshwater lakes, typically around 10', better or worse depending on the day. The lake is used for training. It is widely considered to be a boring dive.

On a recent dive I saw 5 species of fish, a turtle, several invertebrates, a wide variety of vegetation, and some interesting topography. At night the lake changes, different species of fish, larger fish.

Unlike the oceans the lake has seasons, and there are changes in vegetation color, shape, and size, and fish behavior, based on them.

Boring? Only if you don't know what to look for.

Admittedly, the ocean has brighter colors, but it's 2000 miles away.

I do a lot of local diving, but in my area local saltwater dives require a boat. Gulf of Mexico slope is quite shallow, so it'd be a long swim. A 5 mile boat ride will put you in 25-30 fsw. 10-12 miles will be right around 45-50 fsw. That's even worse a few counties north.

Lots of springs accessible to OW divers just a bit north of me, but these don't hold my interest very long.

All summer long, the local dive shop by us hosts Wednesday night shore dives. Before the start of the season they post a list of the various dive locations they'll be going to each Wednesday. Show up at the dive shop by 6:00 PM, and then caravan to the dive location. It's all at no charge, unless you need a tank fill or gear rental. We hit spots in Lake Michigan and Huron, inland lakes and rivers, and have even obtained permission to dive under the retired Coast Guard cutter Mackinac.

I dive with the Northern Michigan Dive Center in Cheboygan, MI, and I know that Scuba North in Traverse City, MI has a similar program. I'm not sure if this is a "thing" at a lot of dive shops, but it might be worth checking with the dive shop in whatever neck of the woods you live in. If they don't do it, it might just plant a seed. It's been good business for NMDC. They've sold quite a bit of gear to those folks showing up to dive for free. :)

Where I live, it's drysuit territory, and I am not that interested in the additional investment for pretty plain scapes.

I am quite content to take 4 or 5 trips a year to the tropics.

Where I live, it's drysuit territory, and I am not that interested in the additional investment for pretty plain scapes.

I am quite content to take 4 or 5 trips a year to the tropics.

I'm in dry suit territory as well, or in my case 7mm wetsuit/hood/gloves territory...northern Michigan, diving on shipwrecks in the Straits of Mackinac. I'd be at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. I've only had one dive outside of Michigan. :)

I'm in 7-10mm/drysuit county as well. However I dive a 3mm fullsuit. Under it I wear 2 polyolefin suits and a 3mm vest. Total insulation 10mm equivalent core, 7mm legs, arms, head. That allows me to use 10-12 pounds of lead instead of 26-28. I'm not toasty but I'm not freezing either.

My cold water dives are either clean the lake dives or practice skills dives - all the while enjoying the (fewer) fish & structure I see. I also do warm water dive trips - always 2 weeks or more - several times a year. Being retired allows that.

By frequently diving locally and practicing skills I maximize my in water time and enjoyment on warm water trips.

I usually do a shoe dive. but I do have all my gear so other than the 7 dollars to get a refill, I dive for free. but I do have to drive 4 hrs to get there so I guess I would have to include gas money too . altogether I guess it costs me about 25 dollars all together. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom